Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I found this piece of writing in my friend's exercise book:

"How many of you are daily passengers on local trains and travel by train, to and from your home to your place of work? All I can say is take a bow! Local trains in office time are a sight to reckon. A perfect battleground resembling World War 3. The only difference is in the absence of deadly weapons. Here the people are deadlier than any weapon with their office bags and bare fists to do all the fighting. I consider the people who travel by local trains in peak office hours to be special and if they happen to board or disembark from Bidhannagar, then they are angelic!!!"

I can't figure out the meaning of "angelic","reckon","bow". Please help.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I found this piece of writing in my friend's exercise book:

"How many of you are daily passengers on local trains and travel by train, to and from your home to your place of work? All I can say is take a bow! Local trains in office time are a sight to reckon. A perfect battleground resembling World War 3. The only difference is in the absence of deadly weapons. Here the people are deadlier than any weapon with their office bags and bare fists to do all the fighting. I consider the people who travel by local trains in peak office hours to be special and if they happen to board or disembark from Bidhannagar, then they are angelic!!!"

I can't figure out the meaning of "angelic","reckon","bow". Please help.

To take a bow = to lean forwards using your back and lowering your head, as actors do on stage at the end of a performance, or as "normal" people are expected to do when meeting royalty.

Reckon = I would have said that the phrase should have been "a sight to be reckoned with". This means that it's something that has to be faced potentially with some difficulty. We call a daunting thing or person "a force to be reckoned with".

Angelic = like angels! I think the writer means that the people who use those busy commuter trains and get on/off the train at the most popular stations must be like angels, to have the patience and ability to deal with such a horrible situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.