Student or Learner
Native Language
Nepali
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
India
Hi,

Which preposition is right for lawn? He was on the lawn. On sounds right, not in. Am I right? For lawn, it is always on. But I'd still like to know....

Mr. X

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi,

Which preposition is right for lawn? He was on the lawn. On sounds right, not in. Am I right? For lawn, it is always on. But I'd still like to know....

Mr. X

Yes. A person or a thing would be on a lawn, as it is a surface. I would be a little worried if someone was in the lawn - that suggests they have been buried!! :-D

Mr. X

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Nepali
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
India
Yes. A person or a thing would be on a lawn, as it is a surface. I would be a little worried if someone was in the lawn - that suggests they have been buried!! :-D

:-D But for grass, it is both, I guess. You can sit on the grass but roll in it. So I thought lawn may be something like that.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:-D But for grass, it is both, I guess. You can sit on the grass but roll in it. So I thought lawn may be something like that.

If someone is rolling in the grass, then I would assume that the grass is quite long or tall, so the person is actually almost inside it! If the grass is short, as it normally is with a lawn, the I would say someone was rolling on the grass.

Status
Not open for further replies.