Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1
    SweetThief is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Needing an advice !

    Hi everyone!
    " People with insomnia have one or more of the following: difficulty falling asleep, waking up often during the night and having trouble going back to sleep, waking too early in the morning and unrefreshing sleep."

    Could anyone tells me why we use Ving in here ?
    Thanks for answering me !

  2. #2
    Raymott's Avatar
    Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    19,874
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Needing an advice !

    Quote Originally Posted by SweetThief View Post
    Hi everyone!
    " People with insomnia have one or more of the following: difficulty falling asleep, waking up often during the night and having trouble going back to sleep, waking too early in the morning and unrefreshing sleep."

    Could anyone tells me why we use Ving in here ?
    Thanks for answering me !
    The sentence is badly constructed. It's wrong to say that people with insomnia have walking up often during the night.
    The sentence would be OK if it started with:
    "People with insomnia suffer from the following: ... " because although you don't "have" walking up often, you can "suffer from" waking up often.
    The words you've bolded are nouns - gerunds.

    By the way, 'advice' is uncountable. You can't have 'an advice'.

  3. #3
    SweetThief is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Needing an advice !

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    The sentence is badly constructed. It's wrong to say that people with insomnia have walking up often during the night.
    The sentence would be OK if it started with:
    "People with insomnia suffer from the following: ... " because although you don't "have" walking up often, you can "suffer from" waking up often.
    The words you've bolded are nouns - gerunds.

    By the way, 'advice' is uncountable. You can't have 'an advice'.
    Thank you very much! Could you tell me more about "nouns - gerunds" ? We use in which case ? Thanks!

  4. #4
    Raymott's Avatar
    Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    19,874
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Needing an advice !

    Quote Originally Posted by SweetThief View Post
    Thank you very much! Could you tell me more about "nouns - gerunds" ? We use in which case ? Thanks!
    You can do a search for 'gerunds' on this site or Google, and you'll get a lot of information.
    (That dash in 'nouns - gerunds' doesn't belong to the name. (It's not a hyphen). I just meant that a gerund is a noun)

Similar Threads

  1. [Grammar] Needing an advice !
    By SweetThief in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 24-Jul-2010, 09:08
  2. [Grammar] Needing
    By Schweetie in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 27-Jan-2010, 19:59
  3. needing
    By Nightmare85 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-Jan-2010, 14:43
  4. needing a help
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 26-Sep-2007, 14:26
  5. Newly Qualified ESL Teacher Needing Advice!
    By sophiemclark in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-Jun-2007, 00:15

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •