Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi all,

Could anyone please tell me what the most common used form is? I mean, when suddenly all the electricity supply in home or an area is disconnected. When we say "Lights went off", does that just refer to the "Brightness form lights", or that even other electrical equipment don't work? Thanks a lot...

euncu

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Power.

Susan612

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In my part of the US we usually say, "The power went out." However, saying the electricity/lights went off/out would be understood and not considered incorrect.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
BrE (South East England), I'd say:

We've had a power cut.
There's been a power cut.

If someone told me that their lights were out/had gone out etc, I would assume it was literally just the main lighting (the ceiling lights) which weren't working. I would expect all other electrical items to be working. In the UK, the lights are usually on a separate switch in the fusebox, not necessarily on the ringmain, so it's possible for the lights to have a problem without anything else being affected.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
***Did anybody pay the electric bill?**

Another AmE vs BrE difference. In the UK, it's called the "electricity bill", not the "electric bill". In some areas of the country it might also be referred to as the "leccy bill", "leccy" being a sort of slang diminutive or "electricity".

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Another AmE vs BrE difference. In the UK, it's called the "electricity bill", not the "electric bill". In some areas of the country it might also be referred to as the "leccy bill", "leccy" being a sort of slang diminutive or "electricity".

So many thanks to all dear posters, and emsr2d2 in special. Ta!

Status
Not open for further replies.