Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Some Questions

  1. #1
    Ever Student's Avatar
    Ever Student is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,059
    Post Thanks / Like

    Question Some Questions

    I have a lot of questions on criminal expressions. Can you please help me out?
    -What's the meaning of First-degree murder?
    -"He was tricket into blaming a freind for doing sth"?
    - Would it be replaced "establishing" with "putting" himself as an accomplice?

    - Is "he recanted his confession" similar to the meaning of "he confessed"?

    - What's difference between "he was found culpable" and "he was held culpable"? If there is not any differences, please give me more similar meaning for those phrases.

    - Does it make sense if one says that " he had been a stereotype as a lair?

    - Does "Nobody raised an eyebrow over sth" mean that "nobody wondered for sth''


    Thanks in advance

  2. #2
    Ever Student's Avatar
    Ever Student is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,059
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Some Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Ever Student View Post
    I have a lot of questions on criminal expressions. Can you please help me out?
    -What's the meaning of First-degree murder?
    -"He was tricket into blaming a freind for doing sth"?
    - Would it be replaced "establishing" with "putting" himself as an accomplice?

    - Is "he recanted his confession" similar to the meaning of "he confessed"?

    - What's difference between "he was found culpable" and "he was held culpable"? If there is not any differences, please give me more similar meaning for those phrases.

    - Does it make sense if one says that " he had been a stereotype as a lair?

    - Does "Nobody raised an eyebrow over sth" mean that "nobody wondered for sth''


    Thanks in advance
    Hi,
    Can anyone please answer my question?

  3. #3
    Raymott's Avatar
    Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    19,548
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Some Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Ever Student View Post
    I have a lot of questions on criminal expressions. Can you please help me out?
    -What's the meaning of First-degree murder?

    "In most [US] states, first-degree murder is defined as an unlawful killing that is both willful and premeditated, meaning that it was committed after planning or "lying in wait" for the victim.
    For example, Dan comes home to find his wife in bed with Victor. Three days later, Dan waits behind a tree near Victor's front door. When Victor comes out of the house, Dan shoots and kills him."
    http://criminal.findlaw.com/crimes/a-z/murder_first_degree.html
    Other degrees are 2nd degree murder, and voluntary manslaughter, which are lesser degrees of homocide.


    -"He was tricked into blaming a friend for doing sth"?
    His friend didn't do it. But someone got him to say his friend did it, by using some form of trick.

    - Would it be replaced "establishing" with "putting" himself as an accomplice?
    Not sure. What's the sentence?

    - Is "he recanted his confession" similar to the meaning of "he confessed"?
    No; it's the opposite. It means he took back his confession. He might claim that he only confessed under torture or police harrassment.

    - What's difference between "he was found culpable" and "he was held culpable"? If there is not any differences, please give me more similar meaning for those phrases.
    They're pretty much the same. He was found responsible. It was found that he did it.

    - Does it make sense if one says that " he had been a stereotype as a lair?
    "He had been stereotyped as a liar." Whichever side he wasn't witnessing for depicted him as a liar.

    - Does "Nobody raised an eyebrow over sth" mean that "nobody wondered about sth''
    It means that no one gave any sign of being concerned about it.

    Thanks in advance
    R.

  4. #4
    Ever Student's Avatar
    Ever Student is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,059
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Some Questions

    Hi,
    Thanks so much for giving your answer; I have learned a lot.

    Here is the original sentence you asked me:

    "Danny was tricked into blaming a friend for the liquidation of his sister's husband, thereby establishing himself as an accomplice."

    I asked if we can use "putting himself as an accomplice"?

  5. #5
    Raymott's Avatar
    Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    19,548
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Some Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Ever Student View Post
    Hi,
    Thanks so much for giving your answer; I have learned a lot.

    Here is the original sentence you asked me:

    "Danny was tricked into blaming a friend for the liquidation of his sister's husband, thereby establishing himself as an accomplice."

    I asked if we can use "putting himself as an accomplice"?
    No, 'putting' is wrong. You could say, "making himself an accomplice".

  6. #6
    Ever Student's Avatar
    Ever Student is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,059
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Some Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    No, 'putting' is wrong. You could say, "making himself an accomplice".
    O I get it. Thanks.

  7. #7
    Ever Student's Avatar
    Ever Student is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,059
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Some Questions

    THANKS

Similar Threads

  1. Questions (help!)
    By belly_ttt in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 19-Nov-2008, 22:50
  2. Three Questions!
    By Mister Nutty in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 19-Oct-2008, 13:43
  3. Negative questions and tag questions ?
    By Assassin in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 18-Aug-2008, 14:38
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-Oct-2006, 07:50
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 19-Sep-2006, 01:00

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •