Proper use of in and on

Status
Not open for further replies.

marxferquso

Hello, everyone.

Any teacher who could teach me the usage of these prepositions : the on and the in. Thanks.

Richard

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
That's a huge area. As a basic difference, use 'on' for a flat surface and 'in' for an enclosed one, or one with sides. ;-)

Spiral

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It depends on what you're referring to. Are you referring to in and on as prepositions of time or prepositions of location?

If you are using them as prepositions of time, here is how I teach my adult students:

Use in for longer periods of time: in the future, in the morning, in March, in the spring, in 1492

Use on for days and dates: on April 15th, on Saturday, on the first day of Christmas, on the 30th

Use at for clock time and very short times: at 8:00, at midnight, at present, at this moment, at quarter-past three, at the same time every day

Hope that helps. :-D

mesmark

Member Type
English Teacher
I have some flash cards that might help with the meaning if you're talking about in or on in relation to place or movement. If you're a student the handout will be good enough.

There are 8 prepositions of place listed and 14 prepositions of movement.
www.mes-english.com/flashcards/prepositions.htm

The prepositions of movement are maybe the most helpful. Preopositions of place are fairly easy to understand and use.

I hope that helps.

Mark
www.mes-english.com

Status
Not open for further replies.