Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
Belgium
Current Location
Brazil
Hi,

Does the term 'on the pitch' mean something? Is it an idiom?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi,

I can't think of any idioms that include "on the pitch". To me, it's only a sporting term.

There are 22 players on the pitch (for example, the football pitch).

philadelphia

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
Hi,

*Not a teacher

Without context, I would tend to agree that it means the field of play. Could you provide context?

At a guess, I would say: Huhh you're on my pitch, buddy, right? - Yes - So just get out of here! Meaning this area is yours (you rather attributed the pitch to yourself and you do not want that guy to come and play on it - very offensive. I believe that example is stretching the meaning, though we sometimes use pitch that way in French

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: 'Pitch' can also be used to mean the space where a temporary trader or busker operates - so 'You're on my pitch' could also used without reference to any kind of sport.

But 'on the pitch' isn't idiomatic (in any context I've met). Rather than 'on the pitch' people use another idiom - also related to sport - "in play"; and if a situation is developing, you can say '[we won't know] until all the balls are in play' (a bit of a strange idiom, now I think of it, as most games I can think of with several balls - notably snooker and pool - start with all their balls in play and the number of balls in play reduces). Hmm...

b

bieasy

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
Belgium
Current Location
Brazil
I can't think of any idioms that include "on the pitch". To me, it's only a sporting term.

There are 22 players on the pitch (for example, the football pitch).

It must be that. It was on CNN and they were broadcasting some sport events.

philadelphia

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
'[we won't know] until all the balls are in play' (a bit of a strange idiom, now I think of it, as most games I can think of with several balls - notably snooker and pool - start with all their balls in play and the number of balls in play reduces). Hmm...

b

I do not find it weird, Bob. It makes sense here, in France and it is very often used like this. It would merely mean that as long as the ball/s is/are not in play, nothing can happen. So when the ball/s is/are in [play], everything can happen.

Eg We cannot tell [who is to win] until the time is running out meaning both players/teams can still try their luck to take the lead.

Status
Not open for further replies.