• Native Language:
      • Somali
      • Home Country:
      • Somalia
      • Current Location:
      • Saudi Arabia
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Simple present (Sentences)

Hi teachers, I have written sentences, but now in new style and also having one question relating to its tense. Welcome to check them.
    Simple Present Tense

Active Voice: Willy grins and thanks his mother when she gives him a toy.
    Passive Voice: Willyís mother is being grinned to her and thanked by Willy when she gives him a toy.
    Gerund Form: Willyís grinning and thanking of his mother is after she gives him a toy.

Active Voice: The cooker grinds the nuts then buys them in his grocery.
    Passive Voice: The nuts are being grinded by the cooker then buys them in his grocery.
    Gerund Form: The grinding of the nuts is a good job for the cooker.

Active Voice: Andy dares to touch his snake because it doesnít have a deadly poison.
    Passive Voice: Andyís snake is being touched by him because it doesnít have a deadly poison.
    Gerund Form: Andyís daring of touching his snake is because he knows that it doesnít have a deadly poison.

Active Voice: The teacher informs the children to do exercise at the evening.
    Passive Voice: The children are being informed to do exercise at the evening by their teacher.
    Gerund Form: The teacherís informing of doing exercise to his children is something nice.

Active Voice: Aunt fakes a stomachache when she doesnít want to go to the school.
    Passive Voice: A stomachache is being faked by Aunt when she doesnít want to go to the school.
    Gerund Form: Auntís faking of stomachache is when she doesnít want to go to the school.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Question: In the simple present tense. Does the next verb should be added (s) when representing as singular or not?
    Example: The cooker grinds the nuts then buys them in his grocery.
    Last edited by Atchan; 03-Aug-2010 at 00:25.

emsr2d2 is online now Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Simple present (Sentences)

Quote Originally Posted by atchan View Post
    Simple Present Tense

Active Voice: Willy grins and thanks his mother when she gives him a toy.
    Passive Voice: Willy’s mother is being grinned to her at and thanked by Willy when she gives him a toy.
    Gerund Form: Willy’s grinning and thanking of his mother is after she gives him a toy. (This is the present continuous form - "Willy's grinning")

Active Voice: The cooker cook (or chef) grinds the nuts then buys (I think you mean "sells") them in his grocery store.
    Passive Voice: The nuts are being grinded ground by the cooker cook (or chef) then buys sold in his grocery store.
    Gerund Form: The grinding of the nuts is a good job for the cooker cook (or chef).

Active Voice: Andy dares to touch his snake because it isn't lethally poisonous.
    Passive Voice: Andy’s snake is being touched by him because it isn't lethally poisonous.
    Gerund Form: Andy’s daring to touch his snake because he knows that it isn't lethally poisonous.

Active Voice: The teacher informs tells the children to do exercise at in the evening. (When you inform someone of something, you give them information. Here, I think you mean that the teacher gave them an order, so "to tell" is the appropriate verb.)
    Passive Voice: The children are being informed told by their teacher to do exercise at in the evening by their teacher.
    Gerund Form: The teacher’s informing the children that of doing exercise to his children is something nice.

Active Voice: My aunt fakes a stomach ache when she doesn’t want to go to the school.
    Passive Voice: A stomach ache is being faked by my aunt when she doesn’t want to go to the school.
    Gerund Form: My aunt’s faking of stomach ache is what she does when she doesn’t want to go to the school.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Question: In the simple present tense. Does Should the next verb should be added (s) when representing as the singular or not?
    Example: The cooker grinds the nuts then buys sells them in his grocery.
    See above for amendments.

In your final example question, yes, the verb ending has to agree throughout (grinds > sells).

You need to revise your use of "to buy" and "to sell".
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 03-Aug-2010 at 00:50. Reason: Missed a section

Atchan is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Somali
      • Home Country:
      • Somalia
      • Current Location:
      • Saudi Arabia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    See above for amendments.

In your final example question, yes, the verb ending has to agree throughout (grinds > sells).

You need to revise your use of "to buy" and "to sell".
    Yes, I meant "sell" but I wrote "buy". Sorry!

Here you are again my teacher!
    Tomorrow I will not post any new thread. I will just examine thoroughly how the mistakes happened. Thank you.

This is Gerund Form: Willy’s (possessive) grinning and thanking to his mother is after she gives him a toy.
    Last edited by Atchan; 03-Aug-2010 at 03:42.

emsr2d2 is online now Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by atchan View Post
    Yes, I meant "sell" but I wrote "buy". Sorry!

Here you are again my teacher!
    Tomorrow I will not post any new thread. I will just examine thoroughly how the mistakes happened. Thank you.

This is Gerund Form: Willyís (possessive) grinning and thanking to his mother is after she gives him a toy.
    You don't "thank to" someone. You simply "thank" them.

I thanked my mother for the present.
    He thanked his sister for giving him a lift to the airport.
    I will thank you later.
    She was thanking her brother for his kindness, when the phone rang.