Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: respond

  1. #1
    maiabulela is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,050
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default respond

    Dear all,

    A director talking about Tom cruise and how he likes to him in a role that shows his softer side. He says:

    "THE GUY IN “JERRY MAGUIRE” WHO LIKE DOESN'T KNOW WHAT TO SAY TO RENEE ZELLWEGER WHEN SHE SAYS I LOVE YOU OR THE GUY WHO DOESN'T KNOW HOW TO DEAL WITH DUSTIN HOFFMAN IN “RAINMAN,” I'M ALWAYS THAT KIND OF LIKE, HOW DO I RESPOND TO THIS GUY? I REALLY LOVE SEEING HIM AGAIN. ONLY THIS TIME IT'S THE SUPER SPY WHO DOESN'T QUITE KNOW HOW TO DEAL WITH BEING IN A RELATIONSHIP. "

    What is the meaning of respond here?

    Sorry for the long quote!

    Thanks a lot

  2. #2
    SoothingDave is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    9,925
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: respond

    Not a teacher.

    He is asking himself how seeing this actor in these roles makes him think and feel. How does he react to this actor? What response does the actor provoke in him? How does he respond?

  3. #3
    emsr2d2's Avatar
    emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    23,610
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: respond

    Quote Originally Posted by maiabulela View Post
    Dear all,

    A director talking about Tom cruise and how he likes to him in a role that shows his softer side. He says:

    "THE GUY IN “JERRY MAGUIRE” WHO LIKE DOESN'T KNOW WHAT TO SAY TO RENEE ZELLWEGER WHEN SHE SAYS I LOVE YOU OR THE GUY WHO DOESN'T KNOW HOW TO DEAL WITH DUSTIN HOFFMAN IN “RAINMAN,” I'M ALWAYS THAT [KIND OF LIKE], "HOW DO I RESPOND TO THIS?" GUY. I REALLY LOVE SEEING HIM AGAIN. ONLY THIS TIME IT'S THE SUPER SPY WHO DOESN'T QUITE KNOW HOW TO DEAL WITH BEING IN A RELATIONSHIP. "

    What is the meaning of respond here?

    Sorry for the long quote!

    Thanks a lot
    Please note that I have amended the actual quote that I think you're confused by. The section I have marked in red and in quotes is the important part.

    The writer is describing himself as the kind of guy who always thinks "How do I respond to this?" in lots of situations.

    In this context "respond to" can mean "reply", meaning he doesn't know what to say back to someone who has just spoken to him. It can also mean "react to". If you don't know how to "respond to" a particular situation, it means you just don't know what to do.

    In Jerry Maguire, Tom Cruise's character doesn't know what to say when Renee Zellwegger says "I love you", in Rain Man he doesn't know how to deal with Dustin Hoffman's character, and now in his new film (I assume one of the Mission Impossible films?), he doesn't know how to behave in a romantic relationship.

    The writer is saying that he feels the same in a lot of situations. Something happens and he just thinks "How do I deal with this?" or "How do I respond to this?"

    So he is describing himself as a "How do I respond to this?" guy! You can ignore the words "kind of like" just before the quote as they are redundant.

  4. #4
    SoothingDave is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    9,925
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: respond

    That makes more sense punctuated like that.

  5. #5
    maiabulela is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,050
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: respond

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    Please note that I have amended the actual quote that I think you're confused by. The section I have marked in red and in quotes is the important part.

    The writer is describing himself as the kind of guy who always thinks "How do I respond to this?" in lots of situations.

    In this context "respond to" can mean "reply", meaning he doesn't know what to say back to someone who has just spoken to him. It can also mean "react to". If you don't know how to "respond to" a particular situation, it means you just don't know what to do.

    In Jerry Maguire, Tom Cruise's character doesn't know what to say when Renee Zellwegger says "I love you", in Rain Man he doesn't know how to deal with Dustin Hoffman's character, and now in his new film (I assume one of the Mission Impossible films?), he doesn't know how to behave in a romantic relationship.

    The writer is saying that he feels the same in a lot of situations. Something happens and he just thinks "How do I deal with this?" or "How do I respond to this?"

    So he is describing himself as a "How do I respond to this?" guy! You can ignore the words "kind of like" just before the quote as they are redundant.
    Thanks a lot for your thorough answer (as usual). Still, I don't know if it's something negative or positive???

    Second thing is that the new movie is (knight and day)

    If you can kindly provide me with examples?

    Thanks

  6. #6
    emsr2d2's Avatar
    emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    23,610
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: respond

    Quote Originally Posted by maiabulela View Post
    Thanks a lot for your thorough answer (as usual). Still, I don't know if it's something negative or positive???

    Second thing is that the new movie is (knight and day)

    If you can kindly provide me with examples?

    Thanks
    It's perhaps a little bit negative! I imagine the writer would be happier if he actually knew what to do in most situations, instead of being confused as to what to do. But it's not very negative! It's just not positive! He's simply making a statement. He might be perfectly happy to be that kind of person!

    Ah, yes, Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz are in Knight and Day, I believe.

    Can I provide you with examples of what?!

  7. #7
    maiabulela is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,050
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: respond

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    It's perhaps a little bit negative! I imagine the writer would be happier if he actually knew what to do in most situations, instead of being confused as to what to do. But it's not very negative! It's just not positive! He's simply making a statement. He might be perfectly happy to be that kind of person!

    Ah, yes, Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz are in Knight and Day, I believe.

    Can I provide you with examples of what?!
    Thanks a lot. I got it. no need for the examples. lol you know, when we sleep on something we don't need examples thanks a lot

Similar Threads

  1. what can I respond?
    By hanky in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 27-Aug-2009, 19:28
  2. can anyone respond
    By liltwinsis_90 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-Jan-2009, 17:33
  3. how can i respond ?
    By hanky in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 15-Oct-2008, 19:22
  4. respond or reply
    By lazybear in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 24-Oct-2005, 11:00

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •