Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
Hi there

What do you think of this sentence?

His personal belief is that language is as instinctive to us as flying is to geese

I think it is strong form. But I also have some consideration for the weak form. I can't explain why.

Then which one is it?

|ʌs| or |əs| ?

Ernesto:up:

Ermaks

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
Nobody to answer?

Ermaks

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
Well, in the end. It was the weak form. Thanks anyway

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
You could pronounce it either way, depending on your desired stress: if you stress instincive, us is weak. If on the other hand you prefer to stress the human / geese dichotomy, then us and geese are both stressed, and us i strong.

bingu

Member Type
Student or Learner
When listening to English, in addition to different styles of speaking and regional dialects, you will find that some words are pronounced differently by the same people. This is because some words are particularly stressed in the sentence. A lot of words have 'strong' and 'weak' forms depending on of they are stressed or not.

Ermaks

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
You could pronounce it either way, depending on your desired stress: if you stress instincive, us is weak. If on the other hand you prefer to stress the human / geese dichotomy, then us and geese are both stressed, and us i strong.

When listening to English, in addition to different styles of speaking and regional dialects, you will find that some words are pronounced differently by the same people. This is because some words are particularly stressed in the sentence. A lot of words have 'strong' and 'weak' forms depending on of they are stressed or not.

Got it! Thanks for the answers

Ernesto:up:

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It's nearly always weak in expressions like 'Give us a break' - in fact in very informal speech the whole /vǝ/ syllable is sometimes dropped and you get /gɪsǝ/. But even here, context may call for the strong form: 'Give us a break for once, instead of giving them all the cushy jobs.'

b

Status
Not open for further replies.