Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expression in bold in the following sentence?

As they looked the whole world became perfectly silent, and a flight of gulls crossed the sky, first one gull leading, then another, and in this extraordinary silence and peace, in this pallor, in this purity, bells struck eleven times, the sound fading up there among the gulls.

fade up = gradually increase (of sound ); become clearer; reverberate

Thanks for your efforts.

Regards,

V.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
No - just the opposite. The sound was dying away among the gulls up in the sky.

Rover

Reactions: vil

sarat_106

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Oriya
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expression in bold in the following sentence?

As they looked the whole world became perfectly silent, and a flight of gulls crossed the sky, first one gull leading, then another, and in this extraordinary silence and peace, in this pallor, in this purity, bells struck eleven times, the sound fading up there among the gulls.

fade up = gradually increase with a sobering effect(of sound ); become clearer; reverberate

Thanks for your efforts.

Regards,

V.

You are right. I think reverbarate is more appropriate to describe the sobering effect of the sound in the srrounding area.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In this context, (the sound fading up there among the gulls'), Rover _KE is right. The sound of the bells is fading, and where it's fading is 'up there in the clouds'. The bolding in vil's original is misleading. In this context 'fade up' is not the phrasal verb that means 'increase relatively to other sounds'.

b

vil

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Thank you all for your assistance.

I’m sorry to say that I have made the mentioned above regrettable misunderstanding.

I was mislead by the following enticing excerpts from my dictionary:

die away = die down = trail away, be hushed, fade out, sound hollow, stall

The radio station faded the music down to give a special news broadcast.

The music faded away.

Having done my job in starting the club, I decided that it was time I faded out and left the work to younger members.

but fade-in (noun) = a gradual increase in a motion-picture or television image's visibility at the beginning of a sequence

After the introduction, we'll fade in the first scene.

In my humble opinion

fade up = fade in = the gradual introduction of a sound until it is audible or of an image until it is visible
or fade up = gradually increase with a sobering effect (of sound ); become clearer; reverberate

Regards,

V.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yes, the phrasal verb 'fade up' means that, but in this the verb is 'fade' and 'up in the clouds' is an adverbial phrase. In that context the sound DIMINISHES/DWINDLES/ATTENUATES. :-|

That's all from me.

b

vil

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Hi BobK,

There is no doubt about that. I expressed my gratitude to you in my post above. I admitted my faults openly yet. Have I cover my head with ashes as the good, old Job did that?(Ref. "The Book of Job")

Thank you again more than I can say.

Regards,

V.

Status
Not open for further replies.