Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Hebrew
      • Home Country:
      • Israel
      • Current Location:
      • Israel

    • Join Date: Jul 2010
    • Posts: 26
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    The meaning of "cut up".

    What is the meaning of "cut up" in the following expression?
    (I got so "cut up" in that play that I lost all tracks of time.)
    I looked it up in the Merriam-Webster dictionary and found as a transitive verb it means:

    1-to cut into parts or pieces b: to injure or damage by or as if by cutting: GASH, SLASH
    2: to subject to hostile criticism: CENSURE
    but from the above sentence, I think the definition of "cut up" must be some things like: be interested in or be engrossed in
    are you agree with me on this?

  1. buggles's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Aug 2007
    • Posts: 3,990
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: The meaning of "cut up".

    Quote Originally Posted by georgemartin22 View Post
    What is the meaning of "cut up" in the following expression?
    (I got so "cut up" in that play that I lost all tracks of time.)
    I looked it up in the Merriam-Webster dictionary and found as a transitive verb it means:

    1-to cut into parts or pieces b: to injure or damage by or as if by cutting: GASH, SLASH
    2: to subject to hostile criticism: CENSURE
    but from the above sentence, I think the definition of "cut up" must be some things like: be interested in or be engrossed in
    are you agree with me on this?

    The only thing I can think of is that you must have (mis)heard this sentence!

    "I got so caught up in that play.........." makes sense because it's a way of saying you became so involved in it that you lost track of time.

    You can be "cut up" if you are upset............

    "I was really cut up when my girlfriend finished with me".

    ........but I don't think that's what your sentence is saying.

    buggles (not a teacher)

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Hebrew
      • Home Country:
      • Israel
      • Current Location:
      • Israel

    • Join Date: Jul 2010
    • Posts: 26
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: The meaning of "cut up".

    Quote Originally Posted by buggles View Post
    The only thing I can think of is that you must have (mis)heard this sentence!

    "I got so caught up in that play.........." makes sense because it's a way of saying you became so involved in it that you lost track of time.

    You can be "cut up" if you are upset............

    "I was really cut up when my girlfriend finished with me".

    ........but I don't think that's what your sentence is saying.

    buggles (not a teacher)
    thanks. It is the sound file. Could you check it out?
    Region000.mp3

  2. konungursvia's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Mar 2009
    • Posts: 4,841
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: The meaning of "cut up".

    Quote Originally Posted by buggles View Post
    The only thing I can think of is that you must have (mis)heard this sentence!

    "I got so caught up in that play.........." makes sense because it's a way of saying you became so involved in it that you lost track of time.

    You can be "cut up" if you are upset............

    "I was really cut up when my girlfriend finished with me".

    ........but I don't think that's what your sentence is saying.

    buggles (not a teacher)
    Agreed.


    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 6
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: The meaning of "cut up".

    I agree, it's "Caught up", not "Cut up."

    It's the American accent and the person speaking quickly, making "Caught" sound a lot like like "cut".

    "I got so caught up (Engrossed, paying lots of attention to, Rivited, concentrating on, interested in) with that play that I lost all track of time too."

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Indonesian
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Indonesia

    • Join Date: May 2010
    • Posts: 309
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: The meaning of "cut up".

    cut up :

    a. to cut into pieces or sections.
    b. to lacerate; wound.
    c. to distress mentally; injure.
    d. Informal . to play pranks; misbehave: They got scolded for cutting up in church.


    see definition # 78
    Cut | Define Cut at Dictionary.com
    Last edited by duiter; 18-Dec-2010 at 03:12. Reason: edit

  3. devonpham1998's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

    • Join Date: Nov 2010
    • Posts: 87
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Smile Re: The meaning of "cut up".

    In this sentence, it means: to behave strangely, in a very active and silly way in order to make people laugh.

    Devon

  4. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,167
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #8

    Re: The meaning of "cut up".

    Quote Originally Posted by devonpham1998 View Post
    In this sentence, it means: to behave strangely, in a very active and silly way in order to make people laugh.
    No. Buggles explained the meaning. Konungursvia and Dorsai confirmed it. They do not need my confirmation, but they have it anyway.

  5. devonpham1998's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

    • Join Date: Nov 2010
    • Posts: 87
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #9

    Re: The meaning of "cut up".

    Quote Originally Posted by fivejedjon View Post
    No. Buggles explained the meaning. Konungursvia and Dorsai confirmed it. They do not need my confirmation, but they have it anyway.
    Oh, so it's "caught up" not "cut up". I'm sorry! :)

  6. poorboy_9's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 165
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #10

    Re: The meaning of "cut up".

    I totally agree with Buggles; it can also be a noun (e.g. "that guy is a clown, he's a total 'cut up'."
    B.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Meaning of "angelic","reckon","bow"
    By Adam Cruge in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 22-Jul-2010, 12:04
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-Jun-2010, 03:25
  3. Whats the meaning of "Cut from the know"
    By AiCaramba!!! in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-Jul-2008, 14:27
  4. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 22-Feb-2008, 10:22
  5. "I didn't attend the class" = skip/cut/wag/ditch..
    By infinikyte in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-Dec-2003, 21:22

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •