Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
When the bus arrived, the door opened and the passengers got in from the front, while the other passengers got down from the rear of the bus.

Are 'got in' and 'got down' correctly used? I was taught that passengers got on or off the bus. The sentence sounds awkward to me.

Could someone please let me know whether the sentence needs rephrasing or is it correct ?

Thanks in advance.

shroob

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Not a teacher only a native.

The sentence certainly does sound awkward to me as a native. I would say it something like this: 'When the bus arrived, the door openend and the passengers got on from the front, while the other passangers got off from the rear of the bus.'

I believe the proper term for getting off a bus is 'alight' and 'board' is for getting on. So you could say 'When the bus arrived, the door opened and the passengers boarded from the front, while the other passengers alighted from the rear of the bus.'

Like I said I'm not a teacher but I hope this helps, please ask if you need anything clearing up.

Tan Elaine

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Hi Shroob

I agree with your version.

Many thanks.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I would always say "got on" and "got off". The only thing I would also change is "got on from the front" to "got on at the front". Come to think of it, I would also use "at" with "got off" as well.

Or perhaps "They got on using/via the door at the front and got off using/via the door at the back".

"Front door" and "back door" to me make me think only of houses (and probably cars). I would probably be more likely to say "the door at the back" with a bus. I have no idea why!!

Edit: Actually, I think "rear door" is more common with buses. I have seen signs on buses saying "Please alight using rear door".

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

Tan Elaine

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Thanks, Rover.

I forgot I have posted on this topic before. I should have double-checked before posting on the same topic again.

Tan Elaine

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Hi Rover

As I was in a hurry to go out, I thought that I had posted this topic again on this forum. However, I have just returned home. I realised that another poster is making use of my question to ask members of another forum.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Right, Tan Elaine.

I assumed it was you who had asked the question on the other forum under a different name.

At least one other individual does the same - and why not? It attracts a largely different pool of responders.

Rover

Status
Not open for further replies.