• Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Tunisia
      • Current Location:
      • Tunisia
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Alternative answers 1

Dear Teachers,

Would you please tell me if the alternatives I propose can be acceptable in the following exercises ?

I/ Mr Jeffries, I have decided against a prison sentence in your case. You may walk free from this court 1) ONLY IF you report to Chesham police every Friday for the next six months. 2) a) SHOULD / b) IF you fail to do so, you will be given one warning; and if you persist in failing to meet this obligation, you will return to this court for a harsher sentence. Unless you present good reason why you 3) a) WERE / b) ARE (?) unable to report to the station, you will find yourself in severe trouble. 4) a) IF / b) IN CASE / c) WHEN you are unable to attend because of illness, please note that a medical certificate must be produced, signed by your doctor, proving your state of health. You 5) a) SHOULD REALISE / b) MUST REALISE / c) HAVE TO REALISE (?) that but for your previous good conduct, I would have no hesitation in imposing a prison sentence.

II/ Sentence transformations:

1) Tom to his mother: ‘Please let me go to Sheila’s party next Saturday.’
    a) Tom asked his mother if she would let him go to Sheila’s party the following week.
    b) Tom asked his mother to let him go to Sheila’s party… (CORRECT ? Same meaning ?)

2) Andrew: “I suggest you cancel all your engagements for today.”
    a) Andrew suggested that I / he (should) cancel all my / his arrangements for that day.
    b) Andrew suggested that I / he CANCELLED all his arrangements for that day. (WRONG ?)

Many thanks,
    Hela

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Alternative answers 1

Sorry to keep you waiting so long. I hope I can help you...

I/ Mr Jeffries, I have decided against a prison sentence in your case. You may walk free from this court ONLY IF you report to Chesham police every Friday for the next six months.SHOULD you fail to do so, you will be given one warning; and if you persist in failing to meet this obligation, you will return to this court for a harsher sentence. Unless you present good reason why you WERE unable to report to the station, you will find yourself in severe trouble.IN CASE you are unable to attend because of illness, please note that a medical certificate must be produced, signed by your doctor, proving your state of health. You MUST REALIZE that but for your previous good conduct, I would have no hesitation in imposing a prison sentence.

Sentence transformations:

Tom to his mother: ‘Please let me go to Sheila’s party next Saturday.’
    a) Tom asked his mother if she would let him go to Sheila’s party the following week. OK
    b) Tom asked his mother to let him go to Sheila’s party… (CORRECT ? Same meaning? - pretty much, yes, it's correct.

2) Andrew: “I suggest you cancel all your engagements for today.”
    a) Andrew suggested that I should cancel all my arrangements for that day. OK too.
    b) Andrew suggested that he CANCEL all his arrangements for that day. (WRONG ?). AmE uses "suggest +that+ inf. form of the verb without the "to".
    Last edited by Marylin; 11-Jun-2005 at 22:55.