Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Ferdie11's Avatar
    Ferdie11 is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    330
    Post Thanks / Like

    You look better, did you lose weight?

    Hi,

    Could you please tell me whether the sentence below is correct or not?


    You look better, did you lose weight?


    Many thanks.

  2. #2
    emsr2d2's Avatar
    emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    24,916
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: You look better, did you lose weight?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ferdie11 View Post
    Hi,

    Could you please tell me whether the sentence below is correct or not?


    You look better, did you lose weight?


    Many thanks.
    Grammatically, there's nothing wrong with it but it might well be considered somewhat insulting!!! It suggests that the speaker thought the other person had been overweight, an opinion that might not be well received.

    I would also like to point out that I wouldn't use "better", I would say "You look great" or something similar. If you say "better", you're clearly comparing it to some previous (unstated) time.

    If I say to someone "You look better", it's normally because they've recently been ill (sick) and hadn't looked healthy the last time I saw them. If they've recovered by the time I next see them, then I would say "You look [much] better".

  3. #3
    TheParser is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    5,287
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: You look better, did you lose weight?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ferdie11 View Post
    Hi,

    Could you please tell me whether the sentence below is correct or not?


    You look better, did you lose weight?


    Many thanks.
    ********** NOT A TEACHER **********

    Hello, Ferdie.

    (1) I think that very strict teachers would be a little upset with

    your written sentence.

    (2) You have connected a statement (You look better) with a

    question (Did you lose [some] weight?) by using a comma.

    (3) Some books call this a comma splice. In formal writing,

    this is considered "wrong."

    (4) So maybe it might be more correct to write:

    Wow! You look great! [As Teacher EMSR suggested] Did you lose

    some weight? [Using some means that in your mind, you are

    thinking of a number -- 10, 15 pounds?]

    (5) If you wanted one sentence, it might be very formal:

    You must have lost some weight, for you look really great!!!
    (The conjunction for connects your two sentences.)

    THANK YOU

  4. #4
    Ferdie11's Avatar
    Ferdie11 is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    330
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: You look better, did you lose weight?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheParser View Post
    ********** NOT A TEACHER **********

    Hello, Ferdie.

    (1) I think that very strict teachers would be a little upset with

    your written sentence.

    (2) You have connected a statement (You look better) with a

    question (Did you lose [some] weight?) by using a comma.

    (3) Some books call this a comma splice. In formal writing,

    this is considered "wrong."

    (4) So maybe it might be more correct to write:

    Wow! You look great! [As Teacher EMSR suggested] Did you lose

    some weight? [Using some means that in your mind, you are

    thinking of a number -- 10, 15 pounds?]

    (5) If you wanted one sentence, it might be very formal:

    You must have lost some weight, for you look really great!!!
    (The conjunction for connects your two sentences.)

    THANK YOU


    Do you think we could separate this sentence?


    If you were stuck on an island, who would you choose to be with?"


    Thanks.

  5. #5
    Barb_D's Avatar
    Barb_D is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    17,516
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: You look better, did you lose weight?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ferdie11 View Post
    Do you think we could separate this sentence?


    If you were stuck on an island, who would you choose to be with?"


    Thanks.
    This is not a comma splice, because the first part is a dependent clause (because it starts with "if.")

    This WOULD be a comma splice:
    Imagine you are stuck on an island, who would you choose to be with.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

  6. #6
    bhaisahab's Avatar
    bhaisahab is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    23,059
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: You look better, did you lose weight?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ferdie11 View Post
    Do you think we could separate this sentence?


    If you were stuck on an island, who would you choose to be with?"


    Thanks.
    If you mean make it two sentences, no you can't.

  7. #7
    Nightmare85's Avatar
    Nightmare85 is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Germany
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,333
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: You look better, did you lose weight?

    **Neither a teacher nor a native speaker.**

    If you were stuck on an island, whom would you choose to be with?

    Maybe it's oldfashioned, but I would use whom here.
    I think adding a whom always eliminates confusion.
    (Not only referred to that sentence.)

    Cheers!

  8. #8
    Ferdie11's Avatar
    Ferdie11 is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    330
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: You look better, did you lose weight?

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    If you mean make it two sentences, no you can't.
    So this sentence is grammatically correct although it starts with a dependent clause?


    If you were stuck on an island, who would you choose to be with?"



    Thanks.

  9. #9
    Nightmare85's Avatar
    Nightmare85 is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Germany
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,333
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: You look better, did you lose weight?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ferdie11 View Post
    So this sentence is grammatically correct although it starts with a dependent clause?


    If you were stuck on an island, who would you choose to be with?"



    Thanks.
    Sure it is.
    What's wrong to start a sentence with if?
    Nothing
    That's why you have to use a comma.

    Cheers!

Similar Threads

  1. as weight to
    By idiotmike in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 28-Jul-2010, 09:07
  2. lose at/lose games
    By joham in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 23-Apr-2010, 04:55
  3. put weight OR gain weight?
    By cmlg38542006 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-Apr-2009, 12:44
  4. helps lose weight//helps weight loss
    By angliholic in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-Apr-2008, 19:48

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •