Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Brazilian Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
I don´t understand the difference between Defining and Non-defining clauses.when I use and what I use to do Non-defining relative. I have some examples about :

Defining relative:

All the teenagers who/that you interviewed yesterday think newspapers are obsolete.

Non-defining relative:

Jeremy,who has just turned 16,never reads the newspaper.

Thanks!:oops:

sglowski

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don´t understand the difference between Defining and Non-defining clauses.when I use and what I use to do Non-defining relative. I have some examples about :

Defining relative:

All the teenagers who/that you interviewed yesterday think newspapers are obsolete.

Non-defining relative:

Jeremy,who has just turned 16,never reads the newspaper.

Thanks!:oops:

The quick and dirty answer is that if the adjective clause answers "Which one?" or "What kind?" then it is defining. If it doesn't answer either question, it is non-defining.
Your second example is clearly non-defining. The adj. cl. does not tell us which Jeremy.

Your first example is more complicated. The way it is written (as a defining clause) means only the teenagers that you interviewed think newspapers are obsolete. Other teenagers don't necessarily agree. The adjective clause answers the question "Which teenagers?"

The sentence could be rewritten to mean that all teenagers agree: Teenagers, some of whom I interviewed yesterday, think newspapers are obsolete.
** "Teenagers, who I interviewed yesterday, think newspapers are obsolete" is illogical as it suggests that you interviewed all teenagers in the world.

Hope this helps.

Marcilene maria

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Brazilian Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Hi!I want to thank you so much for your help.
Thanks,thanks!
Marcilene.

Marcilene maria

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Brazilian Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
I want to thanks for your help!Thanks and thanks!
You help me a lot.
Marcilene.

Status
Not open for further replies.