It's a long road with no turns

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPA77

Member Type
Other
I have heard this idiom a few times, sometimes phrased as "It's a long road with no turning."

I've been hoping to find someone that could explain the meaning of this phrase to me. I've found a couple of guesses on the internet, but nobody who seems to really know.

I would appreciate any thoughts!

philadelphia

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
I have heard this idiom a few times, sometimes phrased as "It's a long road with no turning."

I've been hoping to find someone that could explain the meaning of this phrase to me. I've found a couple of guesses on the internet, but nobody who seems to really know.

We French have the opposite idiom. A long road implies turnings, so this idiom could be turned into humour. The use of 'with/no' reveals the originality of the phrase.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

This is a thought; it's not authoritative.
It means "The road would seem longer than it is if there were no turns in it."
"A road without turns is [seems] very long".

As a proverb, I guess the meaning could be something like, "Life would be very boring if it didn't throw up some surprises occasionally" - i.e. "It's a long life with no surprises."
Or, sticking closer to the original, "It seems like such a long journey if there is nothing to break the monotony."

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The sentence could also mean that once a journey begins there is no turning back.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
There are quite a few examples of it on the web as 'It's a long road that has no turn/turning', and a suggested meaning is to encourage people not to give up or lose hope when things aren't going well.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: 'Don't give up. Something will happen to change the [bleak] outlook.' It can also mean 'Don't expect a smooth passage, just because things are going well at the moment'. That is, in either case, 'Things are bound to change.'

b

euncu

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Either I am a pessimist or I mistook "with no turning" for "with no turning back".:)
The below is what I understood when I first see it;
Once you are on the road there will be no chance for you to return. ( All bridges are burnt) or more plainly you're doomed. :-(

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Either I am a pessimist or I mistook "with no turning" for "with no turning back".:)
The below is what I understood when I first see it;
Once you are on the road there will be no chance for you to return. ( All bridges are burnt) or more plainly you're doomed. :-(

Quite reasonable - that's a more common use of 'with' (though if I meant that I'd use a comma).

b

phras.in

Member Type
Other
Sounds like a boring job or task that requires lots of time and patience to be completed.

Status
Not open for further replies.