Post Thanks / Like

Default Need advice on the difference btw Repeatedly and Repetitively, thanks teachers!

Hello teachers,

Do you mind advising me on the difference between repeatedly and repetitively? When do you use them? Thanks soooooo much, teachers

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Need advice on the difference btw Repeatedly and Repetitively, thanks teachers!

repeatedly=done again and again, very often
    repetitious(also repetitive)=derogatory-containing parts that are said or done too many times, e.g.a repetitous speech, a repetitive job
    I hope this will help you, I've used Longman's Dictionary of English Language and Culture

HaraKiriBlade is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Need advice on the difference btw Repeatedly and Repetitively, thanks teachers!

I'm not a teacher, but I may be able to provide some simple explanation on this one.

Basically, 'repetitively' contains negative tone. If something's repetitively done, it's done repeatedly to a point of boredom and you can't stand it. 'Repeatedly' could be interpreted as 'repetitively' without its negative tone.

Again, correct me if my explanation isn't... accurate.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your great advice, both HaraKiriBlade and trustM.