Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Deep

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

    • Join Date: Jun 2010
    • Posts: 472
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    Deep

    I found this sentence on the internet "Deep in the middle of the brain are sections that control emotions"
    It seems that "Deep in the middle of the brain" works as a noun, but what part of speech is the word "deep" in that phrase ? I can't configure out that that phrase is something can be a subject in a sentence. Or the subject here is "the middle of the brain" and "Deep in" works as an adverb ?
    Please help me!
    Thank you very much !

  1. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 20,227
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: Deep

    Quote Originally Posted by crazYgeeK View Post
    I found this sentence on the internet "Deep in the middle of the brain are sections that control emotions"
    It seems that "Deep in the middle of the brain" works as a noun, but what part of speech is the word "deep" in that phrase ? I can't configure out that that phrase is something can be a subject in a sentence. Or the subject here is "the middle of the brain" and "Deep in" works as an adverb ?
    Please help me!
    Thank you very much !
    "Sections that control emotions (subject) are (verb) deep in the middle of the brain."
    Where are the sections that control emotions?
    Does that help?

    Similar:
    Far away on a lonely hilltop sits a house.
    High above the clouds in the sky shone a rainbow.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

    • Join Date: Jun 2010
    • Posts: 472
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: Deep

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    "Sections that control emotions (subject) are (verb) deep in the middle of the brain."
    Where are the sections that control emotions?
    Does that help?

    Similar:
    Far away on a lonely hilltop sits a house.
    High above the clouds in the sky shone a rainbow.
    Thank you so much. Do you mean my sentence is inverted from the normal sentence ? What is the effect of this way of writing ?
    Thank you !

  2. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 20,227
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: Deep

    Quote Originally Posted by crazYgeeK View Post
    Thank you so much. Do you mean my sentence is inverted from the normal sentence ? What is the effect of this way of writing ?
    Thank you !
    It's inverted from my sentences, but not from normal. The meanings are similar (at least the relations don't change) - If the sections that control emotions are deep in the brain, then deep in the brain are sections that control emotions. The focus changes, but the fact remains the same.

    I have only change the order to (hopefully) make the grammar a little clearer.

Similar Threads

  1. deep crow
    By Daruma in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-Aug-2009, 09:54
  2. deep
    By Dr.Appalayya in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-May-2008, 10:29
  3. deep color
    By Nefertiti in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 21-Sep-2007, 11:35
  4. too deep for any noise
    By Caorthine in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-May-2007, 11:53

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •