[Vocabulary] What is the different between "allocate" and "assign"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

danielwu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Dear Sir or Madam,
I just a English learner. Could everyone please figure out what different between "allocate" and "assign" for me? more detail will be better, many thanks :)

Best Regards,

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Welcome to the board, Daniel.

Have you looked up these words in a dictionary? You should be able to find examples of their use.

If you have any questions about specific doubts, ask again.

Rover

vil

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Dear Sir or Madam,

I just a English learner. Could everyone please figure out what different between "allocate" and "assign" for me? more detail will be better, many thanks :)

Best Regards,

Hi danielwu,

Here are a few words concerning your post..

assign = allocate a task to a person

allocate

1. To set apart for a special purpose; designate: allocate a room to be used for storage.
  2. To distribute according to a plan; allot: allocate rations for a week-long camping trip.
assign

To transfer to another, as to assign one's right to receive rental income from property to another. To designate for a particular function, as to assign an attorney to defend an indigent in a criminal prosecution. To specify or point out, as to assign errors in a lower court proceeding on a writ of error that is submitted to request a court to reverse the judgment of the lower court.

allocate = allot, apportion, appropriate, assign, budget, designate, disperse, distribute, earmark, ration, set aside, share out

Regards,

V.

I'm not a teacher.

Status
Not open for further replies.