[General] humor or misuse?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jiamajia

Member Type
Student or Learner
It's good to know at least some people watch our show, except for us two.----This was said by one of the two hosts of the TV show.

He used 'except for' rather than 'besides', which sounded to me he and his partner do not watch their own show.
1----Is my understanding correct?
2----Is that a kind of humor if the answer to 1 is yes?

Thank you.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
It's good to know at least some people watch our show, except for us two.----This was said by one of the two hosts of the TV show.

He used 'except for' rather than 'besides', which sounded to me he and his partner do not watch their own show.

Thank you.

It seems a strange thing to say, it should be "besides". I can't see any humour in it.

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada

He used 'except for' rather than 'besides', which sounded to me that he and his partner do not watch their own show. That's what he meant.
1----Is my understanding correct? yes
2----Is that a kind of humor if the answer to 1 is yes? Yes, the humor is that even the two of them don't watch their show.

Thank you.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

Thank you.
I believe that "except for" is used to mean "apart from" here. "Except for" is occasionally used incorrectly this way.
Apart from us two (who do watch the show), a least a few others do too.

Status
Not open for further replies.