Status
Not open for further replies.

ediskvaka

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hello.
I can not solve a problem/
There is such a task/
1. Rewrite this paragraph, using the words given below, to make it sound more academic.

append conceive contradict convene
demonstrate denote negate perceive
reside trigger utilize the converse
crucial likewise notwithstanding somewhat
thereby whereby

The study was initially thought up in order to validate a new method of enquiry by which genetic information could be used to predict disease. Our work goes against the findings of Hill (2001); indeed it would appear to show the opposite of what he claimed. We see our work as presenting a rather different view of the genetic factors which cause disease. Despite this, our work does not wipe out Hill’s, as his studies served the very important purpose of devising symbols to stand for certain tendencies, in this way facilitating further research. We hope that Hill will similarly find our work to be valid and that when international researchers meet next April, they will concur that much of value lies in both our and Hill’s studies. Our results are added at the end.

So I did it as below, but I do not know, where to put the formal word utilize and what word can change at the end

The study was initially conceived in order to validate a new method of enquiry whereby genetic information could be used to predict disease. Our work contradicts the findings of Hill (2001); indeed it would appear to demonstrate the converse of what he claimed. We perceive our work as presenting a somewhat different view of the genetic factors which trigger disease. Notwithstanding, our work does not negate Hill’s, as his studies served the crucial purpose of devising symbols to denote certain tendencies, thereby facilitating further research. We hope that Hill will likewise find our work to be valid and that when international researchers convene next April, they will concur that much of value resides in both our and Hill’s studies. Our results are appended.

Thanks.

Rob Y

Member Type
Other
You don't need a word for 'at the end', because 'append' already means this. It means add to the end (of a document).

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Right. Good job. But isn't it funny that changing from Anglo-Saxon phrases to Latin and French words tends to make something formal and academic? I suppose academic English is meant to be less emotional, more objective, so perhaps this is why.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
genetic information could be utilized to predict disease

Status