Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: usage

  1. #1
    shoaib 1 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    111
    Post Thanks / Like

    usage

    Hi dear Teachers,
    Please clarify the difference between
    "It is essential that the government fulfill its promises"
    and
    "It is essential that the government fulfilled its promises"

  2. #2
    Barb_D's Avatar
    Barb_D is online now Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    17,516
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: usage

    Let me ask you this first:

    Has the government done anything?
    Is the expectation that they will do something for the future?
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

  3. #3
    shoaib 1 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    111
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: usage

    yes,it is for the future. i have read such expressions in newspapers many times.

  4. #4
    Barb_D's Avatar
    Barb_D is online now Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    17,516
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: usage

    Are you sure you read both of those?

    It's essential the government fulfill its promises.
    It's essential the government's promises be fulfilled.

    Do you see the difference?
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

  5. #5
    shoaib 1 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    111
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: usage

    Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    Are you sure you read both of those?

    It's essential the government fulfill its promises.
    It's essential the government's promises be fulfilled.

    Do you see the difference?
    No, no.I understand these two sentences that this is a subjunctive structure. I want to know what is the difference when we use first form and when we use the second form. i.e.
    It is essential that the government fulfill its promises.
    It is essential that the government fulfilled its promises

  6. #6
    wace is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    353
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: usage

    Quote Originally Posted by shoaib 1 View Post
    No, no.I understand these two sentences that this is a subjunctive structure. I want to know what is the difference when we use first form and when we use the second form. i.e.
    It is essential that the government fulfill its promises.
    It is essential that the government fulfilled its promises
    In the former, the speaker is expressing his/her wish that the government will fulfil its promises. In the latter s/he is hoping that the government delivered what it promised.

  7. #7
    shoaib 1 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    111
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: usage

    Quote Originally Posted by wace View Post
    In the former, the speaker is expressing his/her wish that the government will fulfil its promises. In the latter s/he is hoping that the government delivered what it promised.
    Not clear.You mean when there is an element of hope, we use second form in the subjunctive structure.And what do you mean when you say ".....hoping that the government delivered what it promised" ?? You mean past or future?

Similar Threads

  1. [Grammar] Usage of in and with.
    By James Steele in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-Dec-2009, 08:55
  2. Need help in the usage
    By IrwinBats in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-Jul-2009, 00:05
  3. [General] Usage?
    By kamlesh1joshi in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-Jul-2008, 19:52
  4. Usage of 'likely'.
    By HaraKiriBlade in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-Dec-2006, 04:10
  5. usage of 'which'
    By HaraKiriBlade in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 30-Nov-2006, 14:49

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •