Thread: liason

Post Thanks / Like

Default liason

Hi teachers,

How do u link "picked up" when you speak it smooth in a speech. Since the 'k" in "picked" is unvoiced,then the "-ed" part is prounced as "t",it becomes "pickt".
    When I link these two words together in liason, should it be pronunced

"pick tup" or "pick dup" as in the sentence below?

I picked up the concert tickets yesterday.

Steven D is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: liason

Quote Originally Posted by amigo
    Hi teachers,

How do u link "picked up" when you speak it smooth in a speech. Since the 'k" in "picked" is unvoiced,then the "-ed" part is prounced as "t",it becomes "pickt".
    When I link these two words together in liason, should it be pronunced

"pick tup" or "pick dup" as in the sentence below?

I picked up the concert tickets yesterday.

The first one is correct.

For "picked up" say "picktup".

The "t" sound of "ed" in "picked" links to "up".

If it's difficult to say, try saying this a few times "tup - pick". After that say "picktup".

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Additionally,

[kt] of "picked up" is a cluster. It can't be separated. That's why "t" stays voiceless. Its mate [k] is voiceless. It's possible to voice "t", as long as its mate "k" is voiced too, like this,

pigd up

But that's a fairly odd pronunciation.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea
    Additionally,

[kt] of "picked up" is a cluster. It can't be separated. That's why "t" stays voiceless. Its mate [k] is voiceless. It's possible to voice "t", as long as its mate "k" is voiced too, like this,

pigd up

But that's a fairly odd pronunciation.

It would be a wrong pronunciation. When a verb ends in a "k" sound and is followed by "ed" to form the past and past participle, "ed" sounds like "t". As far as I know, this never changes. Do you know of any exceptions?

The same thing happens with "p, f, s, k, sh, ch,".

If a verb ends in "g", then "ed" at the end sounds like "d".

tugged - drugged - mugged - bugged - lagged - sagged - bagged - nagged - hugged - lugged - pigged out - I haven't heard "pigged out" in quite some time. LOL!

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=pig

Post Thanks / Like

That's the morphophonemic rule, yes. And pi[gd] up is certainly not the standard proununication. Though, personally I wouldn't go so far as to describe it as "wrong". Next time you've a cold try saying "pi[kt] up". You'll find that |kt| becomes [gd]. Is that "wrong"? Well, I guess it depends on your definition of "wrong". To me, the difference between [kt] and [dg] is a matter of physiology.

XMode's Point
    Add -ed to a voiceless stop, say, [k], and -ed becomes [t], giving [kt].

Cas's Point
    Add -ed to an unaspirated stop, say, the sound of [k] when uttered with a cold, with a stuffed-up nose, and -ed becomes unaspirated [t], giving the unaspirated pair [kt], which sounds like [gd].

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea
    That's the morphophonemic rule, yes. And pi[gd] up is certainly not the standard proununication. Though, personally I wouldn't go so far as to describe it as "wrong". Next time you've a cold try saying "pi[kt] up". You'll find that |kt| becomes [gd]. Is that "wrong"? Well, I guess it depends on your definition of "wrong". To me, the difference between [kt] and [dg] is a matter of physiology.

XMode's Point
    Add -ed to a voiceless stop, say, [k], and -ed becomes [t], giving [kt].

Cas's Point
    Add -ed to an unaspirated stop, say, the sound of [k] when uttered with a cold, with a stuffed-up nose, and -ed becomes unaspirated [t], giving the unaspirated pair [kt], which sounds like [gd].

Having a cold is one thing, but I wouldn't listen to a student say "I pig'd it up" without commenting. To me, it's wrong.

Even if I had a cold, I don't think I would say "pigd it up". Someone else might, but I just don't hear it as something that is likely to be.
    Last edited by Steven D; 16-Jun-2005 at 13:15.

Post Thanks / Like

True.