Thread: Meaning

mohammad Guest

Default Meaning

Hello

Dear teacher

1)Would you please tell me tattletale just means a child who tells an adult what another child has done wrong,if not tell me the other meaning of it

2)Is gossipmonger the same as tattletale ?

3)What does this term (push the envelope) mean?(i just heard it,i am n't sure if i am right,if not tell me any term close to it

best wishes

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Meaning

To tattletale is to tell a tale about someone, one that's true, but one that may get the person into trouble. Children tattletale on each other. For example, Mom, Max didn't do his homework; Dad, Sam ate the goldfish; Teacher, Pat punched me. Children tattletale for various reasons; they feel it's their duty to be honest with authority, they feel it's unfair that the other person is getting away with something, etc. Adults tattletale, too, but it's not called that. It's called "not minding your own business", and it can have a negative result.

A gossipmonger is someone who perpetuates, or rather, sells (=monger) gossip. The gossip may or may not have some truth to it. That's what differentiates it from 'tattletale'. (Note, gossipmonger isn't as commonly used as is 'gossip'; e.g., S/he is a gossip; Adjective, S/he is so gossipy.)

To push the envelope comes from mathmatics. It means to push the limits of something so as to determine its true capabilities. Click here:
    http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-pus1.htm

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mohammad
    Hello

Dear teacher

1)Would you please tell me tattletale just means a child who tells an adult what another child has done wrong,if not tell me the other meaning of it

2)Is gossipmonger the same as tattletale ?

3)What does this term (push the envelope) mean?(i just heard it,i am n't sure if i am right,if not tell me any term close to it

best wishes
    tattletale - kids squealing on each other
    gossipmonger - person that spreads gossip (also referred to as rumormonger)
    monger: "A person promoting something undesirable or discreditable".

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, no. What about the fishmonger? I believe monger, on its own, refers to deal in, to promote.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea
    Oh, no. What about the fishmonger? I believe monger, on its own, refers to deal in, to promote.
    I never thought about it that way!

Let's see: maybe the fishmonger gossips about his fish and the fish don't like it so they tattletale on the fishmonger?....
    Never trust a fishmonger!