Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
1. The large number of students
2. The larger number of students.
3. The largest number of students.

Are these 3 sentences correct?

And, can we use 'big, bigger and biggest' for large in eace sentence? - e.g. the giggest number of students. If we can't, why is that?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It's hard to say without more context- the use of articles would depend on that.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

They are not sentences at all.

Try putting these phrases into complete sentences and we will be able to help you more effectively.

Rover

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Generally, Anglo-Saxon adjectives (big) are concrete, whereas French adjectives (large) are abstract. A number is an abstraction of abstractions, so the word large seems much more appropriate.

In a classroom, kids or teachers might describe a written number as big, if they mean it is written over a large space on the paper or chalkboard.

Colloquially, less educated people might say "a million is a big number" but they would sound a bit clumsy.

prosaic

Member Type
Other
As a publisher and book editor, I offer the following observations, in the hope that they clarify the use of these words...

Large and Big - are vague - 'the large tree leans over the stream' - gives you a general idea that the tree is larger than normal - but gives you no specific information - wheras 'huge tree' gives a clearer image -

'the large student population in Oxford makes it difficult for single office-workers to find accommodation' Large is still vague - but it covers the situation graphically, carrying the general message - and covers a known scenario, without relying on data. 'Big' in both cases would work - but sounds childish

Larger and Bigger - these are 'relative' terms and need to be used in expressions that compare one 'object' with another - where there are only 2 objects to compare.

'There will be a larger pile of leaves beneath the tree this year than there has ever been before',
'My cup is larger than yours',
'The bigger the grant, the larger the number of students who apply for a place'

Largest, Biggest - used when there are more than two objects to compare - ie three or more.
'It was the largest tree in the field'.
'It was the largest number of students that the teacher had ever taught in one class'.

'It was the greatest thrill of her life to ride the largest elephant at the biggest zoo in the world...'

Superlatives should be used with caution!

I hope that this helps and I hope that it shows that 'large, larger and largest' have distinctly different meaningas and are not interchangeable - big, bigger and biggest have their place, but should be used as little as possible as they suggest a lack of alternative words - as in a child's limited language.

All the best Prosaic

1. The large number of students
2. The larger number of students.
3. The largest number of students.

And, can we use 'big, bigger and biggest' for large in eace sentence? - e.g. the giggest number of students. If we can't, why is that?

wotcha

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
They are not sentences at all.

Try putting these phrases into complete sentences and we will be able to help you more effectively.

Rover

Sorry I meant 'clauses' actually.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Sorry I meant 'clauses' actually.

No - they are phrases. A clause has a verb.

Rover

wotcha

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
No - they are phrases. A clause has a verb.

Rover

OOPS another mistake ! Yes I meant phrases!

Clause includes subject and verb but phrase not.

^^;;;;

Status
Not open for further replies.