Thread: "vain"

lilosa Guest

Default "vain"

Good morning.
    I've been trying to think of a word that would have a softer meaning than "vain" to talk about people who take good care of themselves (keeping physically fit, wearing nice clothes, looking nice, etc.).
    We have the word "vaidoso" in Portuguese, which has a positive connotation, expressing people that do take care of their image without exagerations. But it seems that in English the only word that exists is "vain", and that it has a negative connotation.
    Could anyone help me coming up with some other words?
    Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: "vain"

It's true, "vain" has a very negative connotation to it. I don't think we have one single word for the Portuguese equivalent of "vaidoso".

How about health, beauty and fashion conscious as an adjective?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: "vain"

Quote Originally Posted by lilosa
    Good morning.
    I've been trying to think of a word that would have a softer meaning than "vain" to talk about people who take good care of themselves (keeping physically fit, wearing nice clothes, looking nice, etc.).
    We have the word "vaidoso" in Portuguese, which has a positive connotation, expressing people that do take care of their image without exagerations. But it seems that in English the only word that exists is "vain", and that it has a negative connotation.
    Could anyone help me coming up with some other words?
    Thanks.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    *It`s nice to see your question on line.
    Er, the Cobra has the interest for discussing about the meanings of the words. hahaha~~ how funny it is of the word !
    As your described , In my viewpoint it could be As following:
    1.Backboned
    2.Lofty
    3.Egotistic
    4.Pretentious
    5.Substantive
    6.Self-reliant
    7.Self-confident
    June 14 the Cobra in the countryside of the Taiwan.