Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Could you tell me when to begin a sentence with 'No one ...' and when with 'Anyone can't/doesn't/didn't etc'? Are the following sentences all idiomatic? Thank you in advance.

Two brothers failed to keep records of their payments and mother always made up the difference if anyone did n't pay their full share.

If anyone does n't want to risk the ladder or can't reach it, she moves to the shallow end where ...

There's no reason anyone ca n't wake up one fine morning and jump in the deep end.

Because Fite taught himself to play, it puzzles him that anyone ca n't play just like him.

sarat_106

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Oriya
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Could you tell me when to begin a sentence with 'No one ...' and when with 'Anyone can't/doesn't/didn't etc'?
No one is a singular pronoun and means no person or not anyone. It can function as subject in the beginning of a sentence; as:
No one was injured in that accident.
Similarly ‘anyone’ is a singular pronoun and can be used as subject in the beginning. As:
Anyone can take admission in this school.
Are the following sentences all idiomatic?
I do not think so but the first two are conditionals that need some correction. Thank you in advance.

Two brothers failed to keep records of their payments and mother always made up the difference if anyone would not (did n't) pay their full share.(Use would since the main clause “mother always made up the difference” is in simple past)

If anyone does n't want to risk the ladder or can't reach it, she will move (s) to the shallow end where ......( It is contional I, so use ‘will’ future in the main clause)

There's no reason why anyone ca n't wake up one fine morning and jump in the deep end.

Because Fite taught himself to play, it puzzles him that anyone ca n't play just like him.:tick:

Skp

Status
Not open for further replies.