What is Differences between I'm sorry and I apologize.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mooyong

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Thailand
What is Differences between I'm sorry and I apologize. What situation Do we use I apologize.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
'I apologise' is stronger than 'I'm sorry'.

It expresses a deeper level of regret or remorse for something you've done or said.

'I'm sorry' is also used to express sympathy to the bereaved.

'I'm sorry for your loss'.

Rover

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What is Differences between I'm sorry and I apologize. What situation Do we use I apologize.

********** NOT a teacher **********

Hello, Mooyong.

(1) Maybe I am wrong, but I feel that there can be a difference

between I'm sorry and I apologize.

(2) (Mrs. X is entertaining Mrs. Y. Mrs. X's little son walks in)

Mrs. X: Tommy, this is Mrs. Y.

Tommy (to Mrs. Y): You are ugly!

Mrs. X: Tommy!!! You apologize right now to Mrs. Y.

Tommy: I apologize.

Mrs. X: Now you go to your room and stay there.

(In Tommy's room. His sister comes in)

Martha: Did you say something rude to Mrs. Y?

Tommy: I guess so.

Martha: Did you apologize?

Tommy: Yes. Mother made me, so I had to.

Martha: Are you sorry?

Tommy: No, I'm not sorry that I said that. I just said the truth!!

THANK YOU

jiamajia

Member Type
Student or Learner
When you say sorry, you don't mean to take any serious responsibility for whatever has happened.

Apology is a different matter. By apologizing, you may be liable for certain consequences.

The thread reminds me of this incident:
Hainan Island incident - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The "Letter of the two sorries" was the letter delivered by the United States Ambassador Joseph Prueher to Foreign Minister Tang Jiaxuan of the People's Republic of China to defuse the incident. The delivery of the letter led to the release of the U.S. crew from Chinese custody, as well as the eventual return of the disassembled plane.
The letter stated that the United States was "very sorry" for the death of Chinese pilot Wang Wei, and "We are very sorry the entering of China's airspace and the landing did not have verbal clearance..."
There was further debate over the exact meaning of the Chinese translation issued by the U.S. Embassy. A senior administration official was quoted as saying "What the Chinese will choose to characterize as an apology, we would probably choose to characterize as an expression of regret or sorrow."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
When you say sorry, you don't mean to take any serious responsibility for whatever has happened.

In diplomatic circumstances, I would probably agree but I think in general terms, most people genuinely mean it when they say "I'm sorry".

The context and tone of voice would probably give a hint, but generally, if I want to apologise to someone I would use "I'm sorry" (or possibly "I'm very/truly/really sorry).

cubezero3

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
In diplomatic circumstances, I would probably agree but I think in general terms, most people genuinely mean it when they say "I'm sorry".

The context and tone of voice would probably give a hint, but generally, if I want to apologise to someone I would use "I'm sorry" (or possibly "I'm very/truly/really sorry).

I once read an article about the difference between the two. It was written by a Chinese diplomat who had worked in the states. I vaguely recall that, either I apologize or I'm sorry, according to him, could convey that the speaker is legally responsible in right circumtances.

The writer quoted an example. The Chinese Embassy was once orgainzing some sort of gathering and a lady came to talk to him, a juior officer back then, because she had just lost her purse. This bloke said I'm sorry or I apologize to her, which I can't remember. But I do remember the writer mentioned there was something sparkling in the lady's eyes. Then an experienced officer appeared and took the baton. In the article, the writer said that he was later told by the second officer that the lady probably wanted to go to court and his I'm sorry or I apologize would very likely be recognized as a decisive oral evidence that the Embassy was responsible for the loss of the lady's purse and therefore had to compensate her.

Tullia

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
You can be sorry for something you didn't do - you can just be sorry it happened; here sorry is an alternative word for "sad" perhaps, a way to express sympathy? You can also be sorry for something you did do, of course.

You cannot, however, apologize for something you didn't do.

I would guess that would be the legal difference as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.