[Grammar] Syntax: Adverb Clauses vs realtive clauses vs noun clauses

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomtaj

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hello!

1. Could someone please help me distinguish between adverb clauses noun clauses and relative clauses?

2. Could someone also tell me what clauses are used in the bracekted parts of the following two sentences?

* [After I had introduced the guests to each other ] , I referred to the topic [that was currently on the agenda.]

* John knows the book [that Marry bought] [when she was in France.]

Thank you

Best regards Tom

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello!

1. Could someone please help me distinguish between adverb clauses noun clauses and relative clauses?

2. Could someone also tell me what clauses are used in the bracekted parts of the following two sentences?

* [After I had introduced the guests to each other ] , I referred to the topic [that was currently on the agenda.]

* John knows the book [that Marry bought] [when she was in France.]

Thank you

Best regards Tom

NOT A TEACHER

(1) After I had introduced the guests to each other. =

adverb clause that modifies the verb "referred" (when did you

refer?).

that was currently on the agenda. =

adjective clause that modifies the noun "topic" (which topic?).

(2) That Mary bought =

adjective clause that modifies the noun "book" (which book?).

when she was in France =

adverb clause that modifies the verb "bought" (when did she buy it?).

tomtaj

Member Type
Student or Learner
TheParser thank you for your reply!

however I'm a little confused now...

according to my teacher (who is however a bit absentminded and not very consistent)

[that was currently on the agenda] is a Restrictive Realtive clause

and that

[when she was in France] is a Relative clause

the other ones are branded indeed adverb clauses

Please help me out :)

paul.moss

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Iran
These examples will help you out of your confusion!
When I arrived home, Mike had alraedy left.(The clause is an adverb clause since it tells you more about the main verb in the main clause.)

My teacher , who is absent-minded, always forgets my name.(The clause in between commas, tells you more, or perhaps reminds you of, a quality of someone (or something)you know. It's called a non-defining relative_adjective_ clause.)

The book (that) I bought yesterday is not on the shelf.(This clause helps you to identify the book,since the speaker has lots of them. This is a defining relative (or adjective )clause.It is not separated with commas and THAT is optional.)

I know what yuo've got./who you are/ how you can do it.(These are noun clauses;they act like nouns and can be replaced by IT)
Good luck!:)

Pedroski

Member Type
Other
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
China
John knows the book [that Mary bought] [when she was in France.]

I think your teacher is wrong there: when can be a relative pronoun, but only in relation to time. Cf:

At the time when this house was built, the world was a very different place.

Bought is not a reference to time, neither is it a noun. Pronouns can take the place of lots of things, but I have never heard of a pronoun for the past participle of a verb!

I would only say to Parser, that I agree with him. However, in:

'I referred to the topic [that was currently on the agenda.]' I would not say 'that was currently on the agenda.' modifies topic. It is simply a restatement of topic, in greater detail, an apposition. It is a shortened form of 'that topic which was currently on the agenda'

Status
Not open for further replies.