Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Catalan
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
How is properly said in English an opus, any kind of art work (movie, paintings...) reflecting it is one of the last of its style or one of the last of its artist? In Spanish it is used "crepuscular" in this sense, but I don't know if "crepuscular" (from twilight) is also used in English meaning those last artistic tail flaps?

Thank You for your help

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Crepuscular wouldn't give me that meaning- maybe you could use a phrase like the dying days for an artistic movement. For an individual, it's just their last/final work IMO.

Bushwhacker

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Catalan
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Crepuscular wouldn't give me that meaning- maybe you could use a phrase like the dying days for an artistic movement. For an individual, it's just their last/final work IMO.

Thank You, and if the work is the next to last one?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Not a teacher.

"Swan song" is the term used for the final and greatest work of an artist.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
...and if the work is the next to last one?

We call that the penultimate.

Rover

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Do you have an adjective in English that could be used to mean "related to or made in the final part of some era/period/century or somebody's life"? We have such an adjective in Polish but dictionaries I've looked it up in translate it into "decadent" which I think is wrong. As far as I know "decadent" always has a pejorative meaning and the Polish word doesn't have to have it.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I don't think we have, but we are happy to borrow the French term fin de siecle (I can't do the grave accent), which means more than end of the (19th) century. It can also refer to the end of an era.

Fin de siècle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Rover

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Do you have an adjective in English that could be used to mean "related to or made in the final part of some era/period/century or somebody's life"? We have such an adjective in Polish but dictionaries I've looked it up in translate it into "decadent" which I think is wrong. As far as I know "decadent" always has a pejorative meaning and the Polish word doesn't have to have it.
We don't (to my knowledge), but artistic and literary commentators often use the term 'middle years': '... typical of Thackeray in his middle years'.

As to 'crepuscular', we don't commonly use that word as Tdol said, but Bushwacker actually used the word we do use: 'twilight' (as a adjective - example: 'in his twilight years') To be dismissive of an artist's work towards the end of his life, you can use the phrase 'in his dotage' - if someone produces a work 'in his dotage' the implication is that it's not very good.

b

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Does the expression "his twilight years" convey the meaning of deterioration?

Status
Not open for further replies.