This is another essay I had to right for the same class that I did my previous summer assignment on. If anyone could just spare at quick glance, it would be much appreciated.

As for what I had to read, it was two pieces by Emerson and Thoreau (they're extremely long so I won't bore you with details) and, in short, I had to take a series of walks in the same place and record my observations. Afterwards I wrote a small essay about what I encountered over the course of my walks complete with pictures.

This is my essay, enjoy:

The only noise that day was the flapping of my t-shirt as a strong gust swept across the landscape. I felt strong, and ready, some might’ve described my drive as borderline obsessive, but all I wanted to do was drop my work and go outside. My equipment was secured: a camera dangling loosely from my shoulder strap and a cap to guard me against the hot, sweltering sun. I was more prepared, my family observed, to fight dragons rather than go on a trek through a small section of woodland.

My goal was clear and my direction clearer. No man might experience greater joy than the raw purity of nature’s vast fields, sloping knolls, and tranquil woods.

My eyes perceived, through a shroud of leaves, buds, and assortments of other various plants, a light: an obvious indication that the vegetation would give way to a more open environment, one where I can breathe easily and observe the grand majesty of nature herself.

However, fate often proves herself a cruel temptress; the path I had intended to take had overgrown with the most wicked flower. The flowers bloomed in a stunning array of crimson and azure, deceptively inviting me in before attempting to snatch me in its thorny embrace.

Growing heavy, my heart sunk in to the deepest recesses of my soul. I had realized that there was no other way to cross over to the other side; my whole journey had started off as nothing but a farce. No. . .that was not the way it was going to end. I mustered whatever courage I had left and moved aside, searching desperately for another trail.

I wandered the forest without purpose, a vagrant to some, hero to others. The light only grew stronger as I traveled deeper into the forest; I caught a glimpse of insignificant weeds attempting to gain a foothold amongst the debris covered soil. Their effort was noble, truly heart-warming, but they were no match for the deep rooted bushes, brambles, and young saplings who dominated their environment.
However much I wanted to help them, I had more pressing matters. I continued my search, keeping a steady pace, careful to avoid the treacherous pitfalls and ruts in the path.

Finally, I had reached the end of my journey; at least I thought I had. After scrambling over a toppled giant of a tree I discovered a sea of reeds, taller than I was, obscuring my vision. Nature, I surmised, worked in ways that humans could not understand. Undaunted by the challenged in front of me, I approached cautiously. Closer observation revealed that the reeds had a woody stem from which branched jutted at odd angled. Its lithe frame could bend this way and that without breaking. The species of plant could have passed for juvenile trees if not for their close proximity to each other.

By the time I had made it past the reeds I was completely clueless as to how much time I spent trying to navigate through their long stalks. My only thought was that this area seemed to be ripe with life of every kind.

A curious sight met my view when I exited from the reeds. A pond, one that I knew well, had dried up! The only thing that hinted it was the same pond had been a set of deer tracks leading to the “well-known water hole” in the community.

The land beyond the wooded enclave was far less hospitable. Plants struggled to lay down roots in the sandy layer of soil, and only the hardiest plant-life survived. Tracks from A.T.Vs (all terrain vehicles) and bulldozers pocked the land. Humans were the cause.

Compared to the forest, this place was barren of all life. No animals scurried across the desert landscape or made their burrows in the ground, it was devoid of life.

Something interesting caught my eye and I hastily made my way to see what it was, hoping with all my might that I was better than what I had just witnessed. As I rounded the corner and peaked over a mound of dirt made for whatever reason, I caught sight of many houses. A full neighborhood lay at my feet. I now understood what this place was; it had been mean for real estate, but when the market collapsed so did the company’s efforts. The landscape was abandoned just like that, with no regards as to what would happen with it.

On my way back I tried not to dwell on thoughts of what had occurred there. It helped that I could get a small laugh from the fact that both of us, my dog and I, were covered from head to toe (or paw) with burrs.