Post Thanks / Like

Default Movie lines what does this mean?

Hi,

Would someone please tell me what 'black on black' means in this American movie context:

"It was a kill squad, black on black"

Also, I have seen in a professional billboard advertisement for L'oreal cosmetics the use of professional spelt like this 'professionnel' why?

Any takers on either/or would be appreciated,

Many thanks

Mak

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Movie lines what does this mean?

Quote Originally Posted by makaveli
    Hi,

Would someone please tell me what 'black on black' means in this American movie context:

Also, I have seen in a professional billboard advertisement for L'oreal cosmetics the use of professional spelt like this 'professionnel' why?

Any takers on either/or would be appreciated,

Many thanks

Mak

I assume it was a murderous bunch, perhaps a Tac-Team consisting of blacks that were sent on a mission to kill blacks.

'professionnel' - I am not sure, it looks French to me. L'Oreal is a French company so throwing in a few French words might make the commercial more appealing.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Marylin]"It was a kill squad, black on black"

black-on-black can also mean that it's a black car with a black interior ( mouldings, upholstery, fitings, etc).
    Take your pick.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies guys,

In regard black on black I have asked the student a little more about it today and it is from the Bourne Conspiracy for you film/movie buffs!!! CIA kill squad and the question was from an operative questioning another about the programme they were running. The reply was "It was a kill squad, black on black" and that was it. Which leads me to think the operative meant cut and dried, end of story, but it is not one I'm familiar with- hence asking for your opinions!!

In regard the other, yeh I knew L'oreal was French, but didn't think this was how they spelt it, although I admit I haven't checked. Perhaps Cas would shed some light I believe her french is almost as awesome as her English knowledge. I guess it adds to the sophistication angle and all that with the marketing.

It's usually about slang from one of the ghetto type scenes that I get asked to fathom!! These two are certainly a little different!!!

Thanks again

Mak
    Last edited by makaveli; 21-Jun-2005 at 14:42.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by makaveli
    Thanks for the replies guys,

In regard black on black I have asked the student a little more about it today and it is from the Bourne Conspiracy for you film/movie buffs!!! CIA kill squad and the question was from an operative questioning another about the programme they were running. The reply was "It was a kill squad, black on black" and that was it. Which leads me to think the operative meant cut and dried, end of story, but it is not one I'm familiar with- hence asking for your opinions!!

In regard the other, yeh I knew L'oreal was French, but didn't think this was how they spelt it, although I admit I haven't checked. Perhaps Cas would shed some light I believe her french is almost as awesome as her English knowledge. I guess it adds to the sophistication angle and all that with the marketing.

It's usually about slang from one of the ghetto type scenes that I get asked to fathom!! These two are certainly a little different!!!

Thanks again

Mak
    Yeah, let your student figure it out himself. I haven't watched the movie but if he knows what's going on, he should be able to put it all together.

white on white crimes are about whites committing vilonet acts against whites. Black on black ...well, go figure. The movie has a lot of violence in it so it shouldn't be too difficult to figure that out.

http://fr.wordreference.com/fr/Trans...ofessional&v=b
    Last edited by Marylin; 21-Jun-2005 at 22:58.

Post Thanks / Like

In response to this movie line from "the Bourne Identity," "black on black" is not a reference to race.
    Black on black was a covert operative based with a military group in Kentucky, in the 1980's.
    This operative's exploits became much idolized legends of the time, and the person's identity was top secret and never revealed.
    As with much of Western folklore, some of the exploits of Black on Black were hype, while much of the rest is indeed, very true.
    I suspect that the phrase, "kill squad" was simply artistic liberty.
    I am sorry, but this should be enough information to satisfy the curious.