[Essay] Could you explain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

5larry5

Member Type
Other
Could you kindly explain the following essay, 'cause I am a foreigner?

It's easy to grin when your ships come in and you've got the stock market beat, but the man worth while is the man who can smile when his pants are too tight in the seat.

They are from InvestorWords.com
Many thanks!:)

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Hebrew
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel
Could you kindly explain the following essay, 'cause I am a foreigner?

It's easy to grin when your ships come in and you've got the stock market beat, but the man worth while is the man who can smile when his pants are too tight in the seat.

It is "aren't too tight" not "are too tight" .That Smile is referencing a fat wallet, which would make one’s pants tight, so it’d be hard to smile without tight pants. It means it's easy to grin when you get so rich, but it's hard to smile when you're not so rich.

Member Type
Student or Learner
but the man worth while is the man who can smile when his pants are too tight in the seat.

Maann..can't make head and tail out of this phrase.. English is so damn difficult.. I can not get it;too many nones:(..shouldn't be something like : while his pants aren't tight he can't smile and he is worthless[well not really worthless, maybe is not worthing as he would worth if he would have the money]..I`ll never get to know english at a conversational level.. So damn weird..but still so damn beautiful:X:X::X

Status
Not open for further replies.