Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Dear sirs:

The following sentence, abstracted from a textbook of English published in China, was used by the author as an example for error correction.

When the case was closed the lawyer decided to take an off day and went to zoo with his little boy.

The author stated that the phrase "an off day " in the sentence is not right, and it shall be changed into "a day off". But information in the Internet shows that the phrase "an off day " are extensively used by native English speakers. So, my question is: Is the phrase "an off day " acceptable.

In the sentence, we can find that the author used a phrase "went to zoo". As we know, a singular countable noun shall be used in a sentence with an article. Of course, a singular countable noun can be used with zero article, such as go to bed, go to school, and go to hospital etc. But I have never seen such a phrase as "go to zoo". So, my question is: Is the phrase "go to zoo" acceptable?

The usage of zero article is a big problem for our non-native English learners, though I have spent a lot of time to try to command the uses, I don't know how to use zero article properly, because systematical description about it is not available.

Looking forward to your replies.

masuas

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
When the case was closed the lawyer decided to take a day off and went to the zoo with his little boy.

Steven Zhu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Masuas:

I don't think your use of an definite article before the word zoo in the sentence is proper.

Maybe, there is only one zoo in the city where the lawyer lives, but readers have no idea of it, in this case, an definite article can't be used.

Only when the author and his readers know exactly which zoo it is, can an definite article be used. Otherwise, only an indefinite article can be used.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Masuas:

I don't think your use of an definite article before the word zoo in the sentence is proper.

Maybe, there is only one zoo in the city where the lawyer lives, but readers have no idea of it, in this case, an definite article can't be used.

Only when the author and his readers know exactly which zoo it is, can an definite article be used. Otherwise, only an indefinite article can be used.
We usually say "went to the zoo" even if there is more than one. In the same way we say "we went to the cinema (movies)" even if there are several cinemas/movie theatres in town.
The expression "to have an off day" is correct but it doesn't mean the same as "to have a day off". An "off day" is a day in which everything goes wrong.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
How about a comma after closed?

Steven Zhu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I don't think a comma after closed will make any difference.

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In AmE, "went to zoo" sounds like pidgin English and using that phraseology would brand you as a non-native speaker. Even if there were several zoos from which to choose, you would still say "went to the zoo" and if clarification was necessary (if someone asked "which zoo?"), you could subsequently clarify "the Bronx Zoo."

Status
Not open for further replies.