[Grammar] I have a question for the choice of pronoun in the sentence with "every"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eureka

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Hi! I have a question for the choice of pronoun in the sentence with "every"

Ex) Everyone knows he is a genius although they don't like him.

As far as I'm concerned, all the phrases with "every" are used in singular form, even though they have plural meaning. I think the plural meaning of "every" can be realized in its pronoun use as shown above.

However, if teacher says "Did everyon bring ______ textbooks?" in class, then what pronoun can be put in the blank between "your" and "their"? One of my native speaker friends told me it's appropriate to use "their for the context.

Now I'm confused because the teacher directly speak to his students in the context. (e.g. "every" denotes third person plural "you") So I think it should be "your" not "their.

Can please corret me if I'm wrong?

Thank you millions in advance:lol:

shoaib 1

Member Type
English Teacher
Re: I have a question for the choice of pronoun in the sentence with "every"

As far as I'm concerned, all the phrases with "every" are used in singular form, even though they have plural meaning. I think the plural meaning of "every" can be realized in its pronoun use as shown above.

However, if teacher says "Did everyon bring ______ textbooks?" in class, then what pronoun can be put in the blank between "your" and "their"? One of my native speaker friends told me it's appropriate to use "their for the context.

Now I'm confused because the teacher directly speak to his students in the context. (e.g. "every" denotes third person plural "you") So I think it should be "your" not "their.

Hi,
Your teacher meant to say "everyone of you"
"Every" may be used for first and second person as well. The teacher may ask his class "Is everyone(of you) fine?" A student may ask his or her classmate " Is everyone (of us) present?"

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Each of your examples could be used in speaking directly to the students but depending on context, "....your textbooks?" could be used as such i.e. speaking directly and ".........their textbooks?" would more appropriately be used in directing the question to another person about the students.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada

The meaning is not really plural, it means each individual one, or all cases of single examples.

Status
Not open for further replies.