Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    fayaz_3e is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    6
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default I want to be Miserable

    Miserable means unhappy. Then what is the meaning of "I want to be miserable". Does it mean I want to be unhappy ? Doesn't make sense. And from the movie 'What happens in Vegas' when cameron diaz got promoted, she rejects and propose her colleague stating that "She likes to be miserable"(Pointing to colleague). I am confused...
    Last edited by fayaz_3e; 16-Sep-2010 at 14:27.

  2. #2
    Raymott's Avatar
    Raymott is online now VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    19,388
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: I want to be Miserable

    Quote Originally Posted by fayaz_3e View Post
    Miserable means unhappy. Then what is the meaning of "I want to be miserable". Does it mean I want to be unhappy ? Doesn't make sense. And from the movie 'What happens in Vegas' when cameron diaz got promoted, she rejects and propose her colleague stating that "She likes to be misearble"(Pointing to colleague). I am confused...
    Some people "like to be miserable" because it's too much of an effort to be happy. When someone says "She likes to be miserable", it means that she always seems to be miserable. It doesn't strictly mean that she enjoys being miserable or wants to be unhappy. People generally don't say it of themselves.

  3. #3
    fayaz_3e is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    6
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: I want to be Miserable

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    Some people "like to be miserable" because it's too much of an effort to be happy. When someone says "She likes to be miserable", it means that she always seems to be miserable. It doesn't strictly mean that she enjoys being miserable or wants to be unhappy. People generally don't say it of themselves.
    Thanks for reply. Could you please clarify "I want to be miserable"?

  4. #4
    Rover_KE is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    13,955
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: I want to be Miserable

    Raymott made a good point:

    People generally don't say it of themselves.
    In your context the character didn't say 'I want to be miserable', so it's a moot point.

    In the song Love Me or Leave Me we hear the words 'I'd rather be lonely than happy with somebody else' - a sentiment which I have always considered to be absolutely stupid and totally unrealistic in real life. . .just as 'I want to be miserable' sounds.

    Rover

  5. #5
    SoothingDave is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    9,392
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: I want to be Miserable

    Some people seem to be more happy when they have things to complain about, or when people can feel sorry for them. This may be what is meant.

  6. #6
    fayaz_3e is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    6
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: I want to be Miserable

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover_KE View Post

    In your context the character didn't say 'I want to be miserable', so it's a moot point.
    I think I kinda got it . From hitch movie,
    "You. For-- For a whore lot of reasons that don't make any sence to me. I-- I mean, what, we've been no three dates? But, see, that's what's crazy. That's what's crazy, because I know... I know deep, like just down, just in this area that I just know that I want... I want to be miserable. Like, really miserable. Because, hey, if that what it takes for me to be happy then... Wait, that didn't come out right. That... What the hell is wrong with you?!"


Similar Threads

  1. "Miserable weather"?
    By maral55 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-Jun-2009, 15:27

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Hotchalk