Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Miserable means unhappy. Then what is the meaning of "I want to be miserable". Does it mean I want to be unhappy :shock:? Doesn't make sense. And from the movie 'What happens in Vegas' when cameron diaz got promoted, she rejects and propose her colleague stating that "She likes to be miserable"(Pointing to colleague). I am confused...

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Miserable means unhappy. Then what is the meaning of "I want to be miserable". Does it mean I want to be unhappy :shock:? Doesn't make sense. And from the movie 'What happens in Vegas' when cameron diaz got promoted, she rejects and propose her colleague stating that "She likes to be misearble"(Pointing to colleague). I am confused...
Some people "like to be miserable" because it's too much of an effort to be happy. When someone says "She likes to be miserable", it means that she always seems to be miserable. It doesn't strictly mean that she enjoys being miserable or wants to be unhappy. People generally don't say it of themselves.

fayaz_3e

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Some people "like to be miserable" because it's too much of an effort to be happy. When someone says "She likes to be miserable", it means that she always seems to be miserable. It doesn't strictly mean that she enjoys being miserable or wants to be unhappy. People generally don't say it of themselves.
Thanks for reply. Could you please clarify "I want to be miserable"?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Raymott made a good point:

People generally don't say it of themselves.

In your context the character didn't say 'I want to be miserable', so it's a moot point.

In the song Love Me or Leave Me we hear the words 'I'd rather be lonely than happy with somebody else' - a sentiment which I have always considered to be absolutely stupid and totally unrealistic in real life. . .just as 'I want to be miserable' sounds.

Rover

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Some people seem to be more happy when they have things to complain about, or when people can feel sorry for them. This may be what is meant.

fayaz_3e

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
In your context the character didn't say 'I want to be miserable', so it's a moot point.

I think I kinda got it :-D. From hitch movie,
"You. For-- For a whore lot of reasons that don't make any sence to me. I-- I mean, what, we've been no three dates? But, see, that's what's crazy. That's what's crazy, because I know... I know deep, like just down, just in this area that I just know that I want... I want to be miserable. Like, really miserable. Because, hey, if that what it takes for me to be happy then... Wait, that didn't come out right. That... What the hell is wrong with you?!"

:up:

Status
Not open for further replies.