Student or Learner
Native Language
Abkhazian
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
Hi gang,

I've completed the majority of my pre-interview tasks and feel pretty confident about it bar one question which I can't seem to tackle. I don't want anyone to do this full question for me, just perhaps show me the first bit as an example and I'm sure I'll be on my way. I'm certain I'm ignoring the glaring obvious here.

Thanks, Sarah.

Say each of the following sentences with the strongest emphasis on the underlined word. For each sentence write what you think might have been said before it to prompt that particular stress.

a)The Rolling Stones were a great band
b)The Rolling Stones were a great band
c)The Rolling Stones were a great band

d)I like her new car
e)I like her new car
f)I like her new car

MASM

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hi gang,

I've completed the majority of my pre-interview tasks and feel pretty confident about it bar one question which I can't seem to tackle. I don't want anyone to do this full question for me, just perhaps show me the first bit as an example and I'm sure I'll be on my way. I'm certain I'm ignoring the glaring obvious here.

Thanks, Sarah.

Say each of the following sentences with the strongest emphasis on the underlined word. For each sentence write what you think might have been said before it to prompt that particular stress.

d)I like her new car (Maybe she's got more things that are new. I love Sarah's new dress)
e)I like her new car ( She might have an old one. I love Sarah's old Toyota)
f)I like her new car (Not any other car but hers. Sarah's boyfriend has bought an Audi A4)

I love this sort of questions, they're challenging. These are my suggestions, I hope I'm not totally wrong.
Good luck with your interview!

Abstract Idea

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
United States

I really like their songs, their performance, their energy. The Rolling Stones were a great band.

I think their performance is not the same anymore, Mick Jagger looked so tired, The Rolling Stones were a great band.

I really don't like The Beatles, they relied only on John Lennon's ideas and when Yoko Ono arrived they broke into pieces. On the other hand, The Rolling Stones were a great band.

susiedqq

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Rolling Stones = one band.

Rolling Stones was a good band.

Abstract Idea

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
United States
Rolling Stones = one band.

Rolling Stones was a good band.

Hmm, interesting. Good point.

But when we say "The Rolling Stones are ..." I think we may mean the collective of all the band components. The band components somewhat compared to rolling stones.
The same idea as in "The Beatles," "The Police," "The Carpenters" and so on.

Some examples from the Internet:
The Rolling Stones are an English rock band ... (The Rolling Stones - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
The Rolling Stones are one of the greatest ... (The Official site of the Rolling Stones | Rollingstones.com)
The Rollins Stones are outdone ... (Rolling Stone 500: Top Rolling Stones Songs - CBS News)

Status
Not open for further replies.