• Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Default There're so many choices. Which one should I pick?

Hi, everyone.

I know this will sound silly. But I just can't handle it anymore.

This whole post was motivated by the following post:

Hi Teacher

I would like to ask you to compare the following sentences.
    1-Mr James has received recognition as an outstanding teacher.
    2-Mr James has been recognized as an outstanding teacher.
    Yes, they are both grammatically correct, and mean the same.
    It's a choice between using a verb or a noun

http://www.usingenglish.com/forum/ne...reply&p=650782
    I've beening reading posts in this forum for several months. Hundreds of posts were devoted to seeking nuances between two or several similar words, prheases, tenses or sentence patterns. Teachers would usually confirm or assure they have the same meaning.

There are so many choices in English language. As shown in the above example, it can be a choice between a verb or a noun. On other occasions, it may be a choice between different tenses, e.g., The train leaves at 6 tomorrow morning, The train will leave at 6 tomorrow and The train is leaving at 6 tomorrow.

I can understand regional differences. A young girl may be a lady or a lass. We can have a lake here and a loch there. Then, as shown in my example given above, people in the same area do have many choices for occasions as simple as telling a train schedule.

How do you decide what you will say, when you have many choices which basically have the same meaning? What are the reasons as to why one option is chosen and the rest are not?

Even when I am writing this, I strongly feel I am just being silly. One may favour one choice because they grow up hearing people use it. One can be in favour of one choice as someone he likes uses it a lot. Maybe one simply doesn't care, it's just at that very moment they feel like doing so.

It's probably just someone's style. But I still feel very uncomfortable when making random shots. Why The train leaves at 6 tomorrow morning, but not The train will leave at 6 tomorrow morning? Let alone the fact that in fact my choices include The train is leaving at 6 tomorrow morning, The train is due to leave at 6 tomorrow morning, The train is going to leave at 6 tomorrow morning and The train will be leaving at 6 tomorrow morning. That's even not the end of the list. It feels so wired, but I can't help thinking about it.

Please, everyone, how do you cope with this problem? It's really driving me mad now.

Many thanks

Richard

Tullia is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: There're so many choices. Which one should I pick?

Quote Originally Posted by cubezero3 View Post
    Please, everyone, how do you cope with this problem? It's really driving me mad now.

Many thanks

Richard

How many different ways can you think to say it in Mandarin? I'm intrigued: is the problem that your native tongue is less rich in vocab/grammatical forms and so it's overwhelming, or is it just that you are struggling to differentiate the nuances of the various versions in English, and match them up to alternatives in your native tongue?