Thread: help me

Post Thanks / Like

help me

hello
    would you mind finding out the mistake among the underlined parts in this sentence?
    He broke the window because there was not other way to enter the house.
    thanks so much!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: help me

We try not to do assignments for you, but if you provide us with your answer(s) we'd be more than happy to guide you through the grammar.

All the best,

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for replying me, but to tell the truth, I don't know the answer. I just guess that the mistake is the word NOT. I'm confusing NOT and NO in this sentence. I think it should be NO but I'm not sure. By the way, can you help me make clear the use of NO and NOT.
    Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like

I think use That instead of The and don't use not use <b>no</b> You have also forgotten to use <b>in</b> because you are entering in inside of anything you must use in that is preposition
    Last edited by govind4u; 27-Jun-2005 at 17:42.

Post Thanks / Like

That's correct. "not" should be "no":

He broke the window because there was no other way to enter the house.

The word "not" is an adverb. It occurs with verbs, and it negates the verb, like this,

This is a big house. (Affirmative)
    This is not a big house. / This isn't a big house. (Negative)

The word "no" is an adjective. It occurs with nouns, and it adds meaning to a noun, like this,

The house has windows. (Affirmative)
    The house has no windows. (Negative)

"no" modifies windows. We could change "no" into "not", see below, but then "not" would negate the verb, and we'd have to add "any", like this,

The house has not any windows. /The house hasn't any windows.

In sum, use "no with nouns and "not" with verbs.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: help me

thanks a lot, Casiopea and govind4u. You help me a lot with this problem. Now I know how to use NO and NOT correctly.

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Re: help me

Not sure how this works, but here goes. I am writing a resume. I want to list examples of sub areas which I supervised or from which I gained experience. I tend to use "sentence,(comma) i.e., (then the areas). Not sure if it correct.

If this is the type of thing you can advise me on, please let me know and I will copy and paste the first paragraph.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure how this works, but here goes. I am writing a resume. I want to list examples of sub areas which I supervised or from which I gained experience. I tend to use "sentence,(comma) i.e., (then the areas). Not sure if it correct.

If this is the type of thing you can advise me on, please let me know and I will copy and paste the first paragraph.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Post Thanks / Like

Give heading s to your at\rea of work. for instance,
    Experience(s)
    HR: 5 year as HR Manager

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Re: help me

I have the header, which is the title for that job. The question is how to punctuate the list of sub-departments, which I supervised, following that heading. If it is allowed, let me know and I will copy and paste the actual paragraph for your review.
    Thanks again for your help.