Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: siblings

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,443
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    siblings

    " brother and sister". I looked it up in the dictionary and it says "fromal". Is there any other less formal word for it?


    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 39
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: siblings

    I can't think of one off the top of my head.

    The word 'brethren' is even more old fashion and formal. (brothers in religious orders)

    We wouldn't use the word 'siblings' in conversation when talking about our brothers and sisters but refer to them in a more personal way.

    'My brother and two sisters are coming to lunch on Sunday.'

    (As an example)

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,443
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: siblings

    Quote Originally Posted by Chicchick View Post
    I can't think of one off the top of my head.

    The word 'brethren' is even more old fashion and formal. (brothers in religious orders)

    We wouldn't use the word 'siblings' in conversation when talking about our brothers and sisters but refer to them in a more personal way.

    'My brother and two sisters are coming to lunch on Sunday.'

    (As an example)
    "Sidligs" kind of offical and "smart"?

  1. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 27,037
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: siblings

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    " brother and sister". I looked it up in the dictionary and it says "formal". Is there any other less formal word for it?
    I don't know of another collective word for "brothers and sisters", only "siblings". However, I don't think of "siblings" as particularly formal. It's a quicker way of saying "Do you have any brothers and sisters?" - "Do you have any siblings?"

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,443
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: siblings

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    I don't know of another collective word for "brothers and sisters", only "siblings". However, I don't think of "siblings" as particularly formal. It's a quicker way of saying "Do you have any brothers and sisters?" - "Do you have any siblings?"
    But do look it up in the dictionary! It says "forma". I have never got to hear that one in casual speech.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,443
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: siblings

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    But do look it up in the dictionary! It says "forma". I have never got to hear that one in casual speech.
    I'll stick to advice given by the guy from London.

  2. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 27,037
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: siblings

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    But do look it up in the dictionary! It says "forma". I have never got to hear that one in casual speech.
    I'm not disputing what it says in the dictionary! However, I'm simply saying that in my experience of everyday English, it wouldn't leap out of a sentence at me as particularly formal.

    Personally, I wouldn't be surprised to hear someone say in normal, informal conversation "Do you have any siblings?" It is, perhaps, less informal than "brothers and sisters", but in my mind, that doesn't necessarily make it formal!

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,443
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #8

    Re: siblings

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    I'm not disputing what it says in the dictionary! However, I'm simply saying that in my experience of everyday English, it wouldn't leap out of a sentence at me as particularly formal.

    Personally, I wouldn't be surprised to hear someone say in normal, informal conversation "Do you have any siblings?" It is, perhaps, less informal than "brothers and sisters", but in my mind, that doesn't necessarily make it formal!
    Ok! Thanks to you I got the picture

Similar Threads

  1. How to ask about siblings
    By optimistic pessimist in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-Jul-2010, 04:32
  2. [Grammar] Siblings
    By Ferdie11 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-Aug-2009, 00:41
  3. siblings
    By Daniellll in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 17-Jan-2009, 20:24
  4. siblings
    By beachboy in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-Dec-2008, 17:22
  5. siblings
    By jctgf in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-Nov-2008, 23:04

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •