gonna be

Status
Not open for further replies.

cherie85

Member Type
Student or Learner
Most of the Filipino people here in the Philippines are using "gonna be" in their sentence.

Is it wrong to use "gonna" and "be" together like "gonna be"?

Because from what I heard it is a wrong grammar when you use "gonna be" in a sentence because the word "gonna" means "going" and when you use "going" in a sentence its not "going be" but its "going to" or "going to be".:roll:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Most of the Filipino people here in the Philippines are using "gonna be" in their sentence.

Because from what I heard it is a wrong grammar when you use "gonna be" in a sentence because the word "gonna" means "going" and when you use "going" in a sentence its not "going be" but its "going to" or "going to be".:roll:

Gonna = going to

It's informal and should only be used in speech, not in writing. The same goes for "wanna" (want to) and "shoulda" (should have).

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine

Not a native speaker.

"I'm gonna go there"

OR

" I'm going to go there"

You won't use the first sentece in writing.

philadelphia

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
Gonna = going to

It's informal and should only be used in speech, not in writing. The same goes for "wanna" (want to) and "shoulda" (should have).

To add: 'gotta' (got to), 'coulda' (could have), 'woulda' (would have), etc.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine

baachan

Member Type
Student or Learner
I agree. It is correct, in an informal setting of course. But used in writing, or in a formal situation, it would be inappropriate. Based on the situation, make sure you're using the appropriate form, "gonna be" or "going to be"

Status
Not open for further replies.