[Essay] how to begin my essay with a famous quotation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

enydia

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hi, teachers.

I want to quote a little Shakespeare or Goethe at the begining of my essay, but I don't know how to start. I've never begin my essay this way before.

Could you give me some tips or examples?

Enydia
:)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi (no comma required) teachers.

I want to quote a little Shakespeare at the begining of my essay, but I don't know how to start. I've never begun my essay this way before.

Could you give me some tips or examples?

Enydia
:)

I'm not quite sure what you mean. Are you going to make a Shakespearean quote the title of your essay or simply the first sentence?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It's the first sentence.

OK, but what is your actual question?! I assume you already have a topic/subject for your essay, so you need to find a suitable Shakespearean quote which will make sense to the topic. Once you have done that, I would suggest putting the quote in quotation marks, or in italics as your first sentence so that it's clear it's a quote.

You also need to make sure that it's relevant and that you can make it clear why it's there.

Depending on the type of essay, you may also need to remember to acknowledge the quote at the end (say who wrote it, and perhaps which play it's from).

enydia

Member Type
Student or Learner
OK, but what is your actual question?! I assume you already have a topic/subject for your essay, so you need to find a suitable Shakespearean quote which will make sense to the topic. Once you have done that, I would suggest putting the quote in quotation marks, or in italics as your first sentence so that it's clear it's a quote.

You also need to make sure that it's relevant and that you can make it clear why it's there.

Depending on the type of essay, you may also need to remember to acknowledge the quote at the end (say who wrote it, and perhaps which play it's from).

How to do this?

Status
Not open for further replies.