• Somali
      • Home Country:
      • Somalia
      • Current Location:
      • Saudi Arabia
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 22) The greedy boy

22) The greedy boy

One day, Hishaam entered their kitchen then he got a box of almonds which its gap was narrow. He entered his hand through the gap and filled his hand with almond. When he was trying to go out his hand from the box he couldn’t, because his hand became big with the almonds. Hishaam began to yell while his hand was in it. His mother came and said to him, “Hishaam, you are a greedy boy, because you filled your hand with almonds. If you took a little then your hand would come out of it easily. Throw all of what in your hand of almonds and remember that the well-behaved boy doesn’t enter the kitchen and take anything except his mother’s acceptance."

emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 22) The greedy boy

Quote Originally Posted by Atchan View Post
    22) The greedy boy

One day, Hishaam entered their (you haven't mentioned anyone else so this should be "his") kitchen. Then he got a box of almonds which its gap was had a narrow opening. He entered put his hand through the gap and filled his hand with almonds. When he was trying tried to go out get his hand out from of the box he couldn’t, because his hand became had become bigger with the almonds. Hishaam began to yell while his hand was in it the box. His mother came and said to him, “Hishaam, you are a greedy boy (no comma) because you filled your hand with almonds. If you took a little few then your hand would come out of it easily. Throw all of what in your hand of almonds Let go of all the almonds in your hand and remember that the well-behaved boy doesn’t enter the kitchen and take anything except his mother’s acceptance."
    See above.
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 20-Sep-2010 at 00:36. Reason: Extra amendment

Atchan is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Somali
      • Home Country:
      • Somalia
      • Current Location:
      • Saudi Arabia
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you my teacher!

e2e4 is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Serbo-Croatian
      • Home Country:
      • Bosnia Herzegovina
      • Current Location:
      • Bosnia Herzegovina
    Post Thanks / Like

I've taken my chance and told the story my way

All you should do guys is to correct it as well.

Thanks

The greedy boy

One day, Hishaam entered his mother's pantry and took a glass jar whose entering was narrow but fulfilled with almonds. He put his hand through the entering and filled his hand with as much almonds as he could. But when he tried to pull his hand of the jar he couldn’t because his hand had spread for the too much almonds in it. Hishaam began to yell. His mother came and said,'Hishaam, you're a greedy boy! If you took a few pieces only your hand would match the entering.Throw the almonds from your hand and remember that the well-behaved boy doesn’t enter the pantry and take anything except his mother’s acceptance.'

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by e2e4 View Post
    I've taken my chance and told the story my way

All you should do guys is to correct it as well.

Thanks

The greedy boy

One day, Hishaam entered his mother's pantry and took a glass jar whose entering entrance/opening was narrow but fulfilled with the jar was (note: if you don't say "the jar" here, it appears that "the opening" was full of almonds) full of almonds. He put his hand through the entering opening and filled his hand with as much many almonds as he could but when he tried to pull his hand of the jar he couldnít because his hand had spread become enlarged for due to the too much large number of almonds in it. Hishaam began to yell. His mother came and said,'Hishaam, you're a greedy boy! If you took a few pieces only, your hand would match be the same size as the entering opening. Throw Drop the almonds from your hand and remember that the well-behaved boy doesnít enter the pantry and take anything except his motherís acceptance.'
    See above. Note: a jar is generally accepted to have a "neck", rather than an opening or an entrance, but I have left those in the piece as they are closer to the original word.

e2e4 is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Serbo-Croatian
      • Home Country:
      • Bosnia Herzegovina
      • Current Location:
      • Bosnia Herzegovina
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your help. I've tried again.
    Please let me know what I've done this time.

The greedy boy

One day, Hishaam entered his mother's pantry and took a full-of-almonds glass jar whose neck was narrow.
    He put his hand through not only the opening but the neck as well and filled the hand with as many almonds as he could.
    But when he tried to pull his hand of the jar he couldn’t because his hand had become enlarged due to the too many almonds in it. Hishaam began to yell. His mother came and said,'Hishaam, you're a greedy boy!
    If you took a few pieces only, your hand would pass through the neck. Drop the almonds and remember that a well-behaved boy doesn’t enter a pantry and take anything except his mother’s acceptance.

In addition, there must be some other types of the glass boxes with its opening in which a housewife keeps either fruits or vegetables during the winter? The box shouldn't have long neck. What is it called in English?

The housewife probably preserves the vegetables before she puts it into the boxes? She uses vinegar so that the food doesn't start to,...what? (spoil, decay?) Please continue with a few words for me. Thanks
    Last edited by e2e4; 20-Sep-2010 at 10:21.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Given that this piece was an original piece of work by Atchan, I'm not sure it's fair to keep rewriting it.

One hint to e2e4 - you might want to use the word "housewife" a little less. I don't know about anyone else here, but I find the idea that it is only housewives (and indeed, only women) who are responsible for stocking the kitchen with food etc, rather outdated.

With specific regard to glass jars containing vinegar which are used to keep foods for a long time (not necessarily over winter), they are called "pickling jars".