[Idiom] more names, more value

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tekno

Member Type
Student or Learner
There is a saying in the Nordic languages being freely translated something akin to "A beloved child is known by many names" putting into words the curious observation that the more we value certain things (a person, an object, phenomena, etc.) the more names we give them. Consider, for example, the many names we have for money, our home town or football team.
Now the question is, what would be a corresponding idiom in english or latin? Anyone? :?:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I can't think of one- we have something that is almost the opposite in Shakespeare's 'a rose by any other name would smell as sweet'.

digitS'

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
. . . Anyone? :?:

Yes, I am not sure about this, at all. The only time my mother used both my given names, she was angry with me.

The most common nickname for my hometown is a derogatory one and it would be impolite if used by visitors.

The idea behind the saying seems to be akin to the many names that the Inuit are supposed to have for snow. As it turns out, that is a myth . . .

Still, there is a multitude of terms of endearment.

Steve

:?:

Tekno

Member Type
Student or Learner
I can't think of one- we have something that is almost the opposite in Shakespeare's 'a rose by any other name would smell as sweet'.

Thanks for your suggestion. I agree that there is a connection between the two. Shakespeare's literal gifts obviously transgress mine. Somehow I do not feel ashamed, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.