Student or Learner
Native Language
Slovak
Home Country
Slovak Republic
Current Location
Slovak Republic
Hello teachers,

I have come across the following expression, "Heck, throw on some music and have a five-minute dance about."
I consulted several dictionaries where I found that "heck" is a synonym for "hell" or can express surprise/dismay. However, here it is obviously a verb. What does it mean?

Thank you for your answer.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Why do you think it's a verb here?

marvan

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Slovak
Home Country
Slovak Republic
Current Location
Slovak Republic
Because it is written as an advice. Do this (heck), do that (throw on some music) and do also something else (dance). Otherwise it would not make sence to me.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I think "heck" is simply an interjection here. It is indeed a mild version of "hell". It expresses emotion.

marvan

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Slovak
Home Country
Slovak Republic
Current Location
Slovak Republic
OK, thank you!

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hello teachers,

I have come across the following expression, "Heck, throw on some music and have a five-minute dance about."
I consulted several dictionaries where I found that "heck" is a synonym for "hell" or can express surprise/dismay. However, here it is obviously a verb. What does it mean?

Thank you for your answer.
It's not a verb. It's just expressing the idea "Hey, let's throw on some music..."

Caledin

Member Type
Other
I think "heck" is simply an interjection here. It is indeed a mild version of "hell". It expresses emotion.
Maybe it's interesting that in the Danish language there is the similar word "heks" which means the worst sort of witch always causing bad troubles.
Perhaps the word was brought into the English language by Vikings ( Normans ) after the conquest and became a mild swearing word.

euncu

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
... by Vikings ( Normans ) ...

I was thinking that they were different nations. The Normans came after the Vikings for the invasion. This is what I know but I'm no historian, so someone with the knowledge about this matter is needed on this post.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I was thinking that they were different nations. The Normans came after the Vikings for the invasion. This is what I know but I'm no historian, so someone with the knowledge about this matter is needed on this post.
You are right, the Vikings arrived in Britain long before the Normans. The Normans, though, were descended from Viking settlers in what is now France.

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In the OP's example, "heck" is an interjection, not a verb. And while it's true that "heck" is bascially a synonym for "hell," it is not considered a profanity or swear word. Even the most proper blue-haired church-going great-grandmother will utter "heck" every now and then. :)

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Maybe it's interesting that in the Danish language there is the similar word "heks" which means the worst sort of witch always causing bad troubles.
Perhaps the word was brought into the English language by Vikings ( Normans ) after the conquest and became a mild swearing word.

The English word "hex" comes from the German for the same thing (witch).

Status
Not open for further replies.