Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    ostap77 is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    3,425
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default bringing up vs upbringing

    I would say "Mike had a strict upbringing". Upringing is a noun and it's singular.

    How about the following sentences?

    1)"John pays a lot of attention to bringing up/raising his children"

    OR

    2)"John pays a lot of attention to the upbringing of his children"

    Or

    3)"John pays a lot of attention to upringing his children"

    Guess the third one is kind of incorrect and unnatural. What do you think?

  2. #2
    bhaisahab's Avatar
    bhaisahab is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    22,298
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: bringing up vs upbringing

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    I would say "Mike had a strict upbringing". Upringing is a noun and it's singular.

    How about the following sentences?

    1)"John pays a lot of attention to bringing up/raising his children"

    OR

    2)"John pays a lot of attention to the upbringing of his children"

    Or

    3)"John pays a lot of attention to upringing his children"

    Guess the third one is kind of incorrect and unnatural. What do you think?
    Yes, #3 is incorrect.

  3. #3
    riquecohen's Avatar
    riquecohen is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    5,343
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: bringing up vs upbringing

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    I would say "Mike had a strict upbringing". Upringing is a noun and it's singular.

    How about the following sentences?

    1)"John pays a lot of attention to bringing up/raising his children"

    OR

    2)"John pays a lot of attention to the upbringing of his children"

    Or

    3)"John pays a lot of attention to upringing his children"

    Guess the third one is kind of incorrect and unnatural. What do you think?
    You are correct about #3. You canīt use upbringing as a verb. Number 1 is correct. While #2 is also correct, I think it would sound better to say his childrenīs upbringing. (This is a matter of my personal preference.)

  4. #4
    ostap77 is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    3,425
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: bringing up vs upbringing

    Quote Originally Posted by riquecohen View Post
    You are correct about #3. You canīt use upbringing as a verb. Number 1 is correct. While #2 is also correct, I think it would sound better to say his childrenīs upbringing. (This is a matter of my personal preference.)
    Cool. Thanks!

  5. #5
    Tullia's Avatar
    Tullia is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    628
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: bringing up vs upbringing

    There's also a subtle different between #1 and #2.

    1)"John pays a lot of attention to bringing up his children"

    2)"John pays a lot of attention to the upbringing of his children"


    #1 implies John is doing the bringing up himself and is directly involved.

    #2 is more ambiguous - the children could live with their mother, or be at a boarding school etc, but John knows what is going on, even if he's not directly involved.

    It's a very very subtle difference though. Mostly they could be used interchangeably.

  6. #6
    ostap77 is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    3,425
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: bringing up vs upbringing

    Quote Originally Posted by Tullia View Post
    There's also a subtle different between #1 and #2.

    1)"John pays a lot of attention to bringing up his children"

    2)"John pays a lot of attention to the upbringing of his children"


    #1 implies John is doing the bringing up himself and is directly involved.

    #2 is more ambiguous - the children could live with their mother, or be at a boarding school etc, but John knows what is going on, even if he's not directly involved.

    It's a very very subtle difference though. Mostly they could be used interchangeably.
    Ultimate explanation!

Similar Threads

  1. [General] How to pronounce bringing correctly?
    By LiuJing in forum Pronunciation and Phonetics
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 16-Jul-2010, 05:24
  2. to bring or to bringing, what is the different?
    By new2grammar in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-Jan-2010, 11:18
  3. education x upbringing
    By beachboy in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 14-Dec-2008, 21:01
  4. bringing your best running.......
    By Jaskin in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-Oct-2008, 11:28
  5. bringing on the heartbreak
    By brennan in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-Feb-2007, 06:46

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •