• Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Rewrite

The are various reasons why people learn foreign languages. I think that depends on their jobs or depends on whether they need to speak other languages.
    From my point of view, the job is the main reason why the people decide to learn a foreign language.
    Delete the second sentence. It adds no additional information. In the third sentence (which is now the second sentence), change the job to their job, and delete why the. That gives you:

• The are various reasons why people learn foreign languages. From my point of view, their job is the main reason people decide to learn a foreign language.

Nowadays, it is very important to know a second language, like English, because when a new American product is first released the instructions are always in English. So if you want to be able to use the product when it first comes out you have to be able to understand English. Otherwise you can't understand the instructions.
    You don't need the last sentence. It adds no additional information.

A part from that, I know people who learn languages because it is a hobby for them and they enjoy learning it. Another reason why people learn languages is in other to get more skills, because if you have more skills you would have more possibilities to get a better job.
    On the whole, I think that people learn other languages because they believe that it will be useful for them.
    Apart is one word. Delete learning from the first sentence. It is redundant (unnecessary, not needed). Delete why in the second sentence. Also, it is not another reason. You mentioned job beforehand. Delete the last sentence. It adds no additional information.

A person chooses to learn a new language because he thinks that language will be useful to him in some way. That is a given. What you want to do is describe what those uses are.

aleycris Guest

Well, I hope that will be the final version. What do you think?

The are various reasons why people learn foreign languages. From my point of view, their job is the main reason why the people decide to learn a foreign language.
    Nowadays, it is very important to know a second language, like English, because when a new American product is first released the instructions are always in English. So if you want to be able to use the product when it first comes out you have to be able to understand English.
    Apart from that, I know people who learn languages because it is a hobby for them and they enjoy it. Another reason people learn languages is in other to get more skills, because if you have more skills you would have more possibilities to get a better job.
    On the whole, I think that people learn other languages because they believe that it will be useful for them to getting a better job, to communicating with foreign people, to have more skill, etc.

RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Learning a language is learning a skill. That is the skill you are talking about the second time you mention job. Also, don't use the people unless you are talking about a specific group of people or you are talking about a nationality (French, German, Chinese, etc.). The summary is fine except that "skill" part seems redundant.

:)

aleycris Guest

What do you think about this sentence?

On the other hand, some parents force their child to learn foreign languages and sometimes on the long end the children finishing hate the language.

Regards
    Alejandro

RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aleycris
    What do you think about this sentence?

On the other hand, some parents force their child to learn foreign languages and sometimes on the long end the children finishing hate the language.
    It needs a couple of changes. Try:

• On the other hand, some parents force their children to learn foreign languages, and sometimes the children end up hating the language.

What do you think?

:)

aleycris Guest

That's good, I think that is the end of this essay.

See you later

Thanks a lot.
    Alejandro

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

You could use 'in the long-term' instead of 'on the long end', which isn't good English, but Ron's version sounds better.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2