Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A second thought: Is there a reason that the type-size has become smaller?

I thought that was my imagination! Yes, if you could bump up the font size a point, that would be great!

Red5

Webmaster, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Like so? ;-)

Red5

Staff member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
@Bob @all
If you think the menus could be better and/or more logically organised then let me know.

NORINET

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Algeria
Current Location
Algeria
Everything is clear in the new design.We just need time to get used to it.I had found my posts and other features before I knew that you are testing a new design.

suikerbossie

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
South Africa
Current Location
Italy
The old forum seems more comfortable somehow (the colour is warmer) but it's just probably a matter of getting used to another house.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Ah! May I speak on behalf of the over-40 set and say thanks for the larger text size?

mara_ce

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
@ Red 5

I´ll insist with the colour. :-| The main page looks monotonous. I´d add some colour to identify the Sub-forums easily. Is that possible?

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
mara_ce: insistir (I assume that's the Spanish; the French is insister) is a faux ami. What you mean is 'I still don't like it' or something like that. 'Is that possible?' is fine - and sticklers for correctness should look away now, because they would prefer it to what I'm about to suggest... But in the context of User-Interface design it's not uncommon to use the much less formal 'Is that doable?'

Red5: What I don't like is that VB displays the old colour scheme for a split second before settling on the new look 'n' feel; but I presume this problem will go away once you remove all the conditional tags in your code! (Or perhaps if I had a decent PC the flicker would be less noticeable. :-()

b

mara_ce

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
mara_ce: insistir (I assume that's the Spanish; the French is insister) is a faux ami. What you mean is 'I still don't like it' or something like that. 'Is that possible?' is fine - and sticklers for correctness should look away now, because they would prefer it to what I'm about to suggest... But in the context of User-Interface design it's not uncommon to use the much less formal 'Is that doable?'
b
Oops! Thanks, BobK. I think I have used "insist" wrongly. Sorry for that, it´s not my intention to demand anything. I used that because I had mentioned the colour before. I should have checked the definition of "insist" before writing it. :oops:

What verb do you use when you are being repetitive and don´t want to sound agressive?

"Is that possible?" I meant if it is possible to add the colour, not that they should do it because I like it. I´m really sorry if that was interpreted in that way. :-(

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Oops! Thanks, BobK. I think I have used "insist" wrongly. Sorry for that, it´s not my intention to demand anything. I used that because I had mentioned the colour before. I should have checked the definition of "insist" before writing it. :oops:

What verb do you use when you are being repetitive and don´t want to sound agressive?

Repeat/say again/underline/emphasize... - often preceded by some sort of expression of modality (the way you feel about the repetition): 'I feel I should...' 'I'd like to ...'. (¡Ojo! Emphasize' con MPH :))

The word 'insist' can sometimes be used, so it's not really a false friend, just an unreliable one! It's rather formal, and it's typically used to repeat an assertion: 'I must insist that there was no conflict of interest'. But the 'insist that' format can be used as a sort of indirect imperative: 'I insist that there must be no talking after lights-out.'

"Is that possible?" I meant if it is possible to add the colour, not that they should do it because I like it. I´m really sorry if that was interpreted in that way. :-(
No problem. (For what it's worth, I like your idea - though it sounds like a lot of work for Red5.) ;-)

b

mara_ce

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
Thanks for the useful expressions. :up::-D I´ll put them into practice to avoid possible misunderstandings.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Thanks for the useful expressions. :up::-D I´ll put them into practice to avoid possible misunderstandings.
Perhaps you meant 'persist'.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Has this new setup changed the log-in procedure in any way? I used to log in automatically, now that doesn't work. Also, yesterday, I lost a 20 min. reply to someone when I was logged in but, on posting, the server told me I wasn't!

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Has this new setup changed the log-in procedure in any way? I used to log in automatically, now that doesn't work. Also, yesterday, I lost a 20 min. reply to someone when I was logged in but, on posting, the server told me I wasn't!

I am afraid there have been some problems with the forum databases, but the technicians say that they have been sorted now. Many apologies for this.
:oops:

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I don't like the fact that when you want to read anything (a post or a directory listing) there's a screen of inconsequential stuff getting in the way at the top; you always have to scroll down a page. (This doesn't apply just to the new look, but while you're re-designing...). I know you have to pay the bills though, and the advertisers wouldn't call their links 'inconsequential'.

b

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Will the old design be always available in the future?

philadelphia

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
I'd rather go for a bit of contrast with the overwhite colour -why not greener? Nice shot anyway. :)

Red5

Staff member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
@birdeen's call - That's something I was planning on providing - setting the default to the new design but allowing users to select the old if they wished. This would probably only be practical for a time as it will be an overhead trying to support both versions. Once we have to migrate to the latest version of vB then all of the old designs will be incompatible anyway, so a forced change is on its way at some stage. Just depends when, and how.

@philadelphia - Trying to keep a simple, clean design that allows attention to focus on the content, not the design, is the objective. Strong colours and bold designs will allways leave us with a divided membership since they are such subjective issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.